cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

That would be a nice touch, I keep hoping we’re all just jumping the gun and the updates will sort everything out, but I do think I’m just peeing in the wind if I’m honest
AlexB83
Scholar 2

@nst 

You say about older platforms but my LG TV is 13 months old where as my Apple TV is 4 years old. 

If they charged different amounts per exact feature you would get into an absurd situation of so many different prices per boost.

Also for those who don't have a 5.1 system are you advocating they should pay less because they can't take advantage of that feature? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I've said though recently I got a Firestick 4K when it was on sale just after they announced the app support and have been using past few days and unless they fix the UI issues with the Apple TV app it will be how I view NowTV going forward beyond a doubt as it just works better for me.

nst
Elite

@AlexB83 

Not at all.

Im saying that the hardware you choose to purchase to enhance your viewing and listening experience is purely personal preference.

What I am saying is that a paid for add on feature that is advertised as providing sound, and picture upgrades should do just that and not one or the other as in my opinion 50fps is one thing.. and arguably only relevant on sports content... but 1080p and 5.1 especially with movies go hand in hand and its just plain weird offering one without the other.

I would advocate offering boost fully, or not at all.

As I say, I can understand technical limitations for 50fps, but not 5.1.  And the relative age of the platform is kindof irrelevant - a TV with built in hardware and software is not the same as a dedicated set top box from a company such as apple.  the current situation is that the AppleTV 4K and HD... which have been out for years unchanged... are MORE than capable of 1080p and 5.1... so why not support it?!

AlexB83
Scholar 2

@nst 

The problem with having it fully or not at all is you are ignoring the fact that people get boost for different reasons. HD nearly everyone can benefit from as most have an hd tv these days, 50fps many can benefit from this but clearly not everyone and mostly aimed at sports fans, an extra stream again some may not benefit from this at all but for some this is literally the most important part of boost. 5.1 audio is likely to be the most niche as you need the most specific equipment for it. So it should be up to the individual if boost is worth it to them. 

So for example you might get someone with an LG TV who loves HD loves 5.1 sound but has no interest in sports so it doesn't matter to them if it has 50fps but because 50fps is not supported on LG then they wouldn't have access to Boost at all 

nst
Elite

@AlexB83 

Im not ignoring anything.

As ive said before if people do not have a 5.1 system then of course they purchase boost FULLY in the knowledge that they will not have a use for one of its components.

You are ignoring people in my position.  I have a 5.1 system, and im purchasing boost specifically to give me a 5.1 soundtrack and 1080p picture!

My use case is just as valid as theirs.  I am paying for a service that promises 1080p and 5.1 amongst other things.  Thats what im paying for.

Genuinely fine with those who pay for 5.1 and don't use it as they don't have the kit... that's their choice.  The key thing being that they entered into that with their eyes wide open and knowing full well what they were getting.  I too entered into this with my eyes wide open and knowing what I wanted from the service..... however I find myself now having to dig around juggling platforms and apps to ensure that I am getting the boost service and features that I am paying for... I feel quite justified in moaning that the AppleTV app does not support 5.1.

I don't know if you were in the beta programme.  I was.  And my frustrations are also borne from the fact ive just come out of an 8 month test trial having been assured that we would get boost (proper).... 

Im not here to bicker with you... I can see both sides.  As I have said to you I agree with what you are saying and I agree with your side of the debate.... I can see why some people are content.. but id ask you to also see why some are not.

AlexB83
Scholar 2

@nst 

I'm not bickering I just think a lot of people would like some boost features available rather than none at all and then people are free to choose if they are important enough to buy the pass. 

I understand it's disappointing when a feature you want is not available and like I said I bought an Amazon fire 4k stick because 50fps wasn't supported on LG and also because they don't have a BT sport app on LG. 

So let's hope 5.1 is added soon so everyone is happy and there is no need for this debate 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think what nowtv should do straight away for excising boost subscribers and ones who haven’t got it is to have the option. If you want 5.1 sound and enhanced picture quality it’s £3. If you just want the picture quality it’s £1.50. It’s really not very hard to put that into place. I fully understand where @nstis coming from I myself was part of the beta trial. Nowtv have just completely ignored us and released an updated app that is simply shocking. Many in here have resorted back to the old green app for voice support.  As you say it’s a personnel preference but nowtv could make things a lot easier by updating thus app with regular updates and give customers the option of 5.1 or picture quality. 

nst
Elite

@AlexB83 

Again I completely agree with what you say.

Given that we are in the "AppleTV" app thread.... and the history behind it... you can see why myself and many others rather begrudge still having to resort to other platforms when this release should have been the answer to all our problems and allowed us to stick with one Settop box instead of having to juggle at least 2 like we have had to do forever given how good the rest of the AppleTV experience is and how bad the NowTV app was.. and indeed still is.

I too am using the Amazon Firestick 4K for now, and remain ever hopeful that what was delivered on AppleTV is only version 1.0 and we are getting timely updates form now on and soon enough it will be sufficient to use.

1st world problems I know... but its a real pain having to switch TV inputs for a single streaming app when everything else works very well on the AppleTV.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I agree, but also agree with the other poster who said that it would be too complex to offer a tiered service.

So, given that... my rather scorched earth viewpoint is that if they find themselves unable to offer the full boost service on a device, then they should not offer it at all.

AppleTV is particularly unforgivable as they still label their content as 5.1 when it isnt delivered as such.  It particularly grieves me thinking how they hide away the non 5.1 compatibility thing on a tech support page somewhere which very few will actually every find.. and most would pay their money, see the content labelled as 5.1, and only then find out its a 2.0 stream.