cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
ReadyPlayer2
Scholar

So, late to the party, but just seen that the ATV app has finally been updated.  However, seems the response to it on here is generally negative - is it just the lack of 5.1 and 1080p that people are unhappy about?

Only quickly skimmed it but, from what I can see, the new app more closely matches the iPad and iPhone apps and I can finally access my Watchlist.

Just curious.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It’s awful, watchlist is unreliable, interface poor, scrolling not smooth, no 5.1 support, no swipe fast forward, no voice support, no TV app integration, no iOS remote text entry...

And that’s just off the top of my head!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

To add insult to injury, I also realised today that pressing the Apple remote Pause button (and also pressing the centre of the swipe area) doesn't pause your programme, you now have to navigate to the Pause button then press this. This isn't just making their app Universal, it's as if they are actively trying to make their app more difficult to use. 

ReadyPlayer2
Scholar

This is weird.  My installation is just like the iOS/iPadOS version.  Smooth scrolling and very responsive, remote text entry works fine (used it to enter my credentials).

Doesn't use native keyboard but can use voice integration via remote app.

ReadyPlayer2
Scholar

Play/pause button works fine for me, as does tapping on the swipe area of the ATV remote.

nst
Elite

@ReadyPlayer2 

long..LONG story!

TL;DR

App took years to arrive, 8 months in "beta" testing but when it finally got released a number of promised features missing, and many UI irritations exist. "supporting" boost without 5.1 sound is unfathomable given the technical abilities of the AppleTV and the fact that all other content and apps on it have managed 5.1 for years.- its hardly a new fangled thing.

That, coupled with the fact a "surprise" Firestick app appeared completely by surprise one week later, with no beta programme, and managed to be more polished and fully support Boost..

You'll understand why some are irked by the situation!

Of course, on the other side of the fence, its better looking than the old one, and supports watchlist and continue watching - and for many the fiddly nonsensical controls aren't really an issue.  For many too, they have vindicated NowTV's attitude of releasing a full priced, yet half implemented version of boost by no having a 5.1 sound system and thinking that's fine for them.

ReadyPlayer2
Scholar

Yep, don't disagree with anything you've said there.  Have been following this thread since the start.  Was just a bit thrown by the comments as my experience of the revised app seemed a lot better than what people were saying.

I have a 5.1 setup myself, but I use Disney+, Netflix and Prime for all my 5.1 content.  I'm happy to tolerate NowTV at 720p/2.0 for easy access to Sky's catalogue of shows, so I just buy passes as required (just cancelled Sports now the F1 is done), and usually as part of a deal (just got 3 months of movies at half price) which suits me well. 👍🏼

nst
Elite

@ReadyPlayer2 

Believe me, a lot of us are surprised.  I was never this cynical but the fact ive been working on the beta for months, and then get an app that was promised as one thing, but delivered as another means that I cannot use it and have to resort to the fire stick version.  Huge waste of my time and that of many of the beta testers.  With boost as an example I know that many, if not all of the beta testers reported the lack of boost way back in march the moment the first beta was released.  The trials team made a point of telling us to stop reporting it as they knew.. and that it would be implemented on release.... an 8 months later regardless it was released half baked.

Ive been contributing to the forum but mostly this thread for over a year, and I was hoping that the final release would mean things would settle down and this thread be left to wither and die but of course its just been Renewed with gusto given what we've been delivered.

Personally, and I know that not everyone fully agrees, I think that delivering boost without 5.1 yet charging full price for it is beyond cheeky, and to continue to label the shows and movies accessed via the app as 5.1 is a trades description issue and frankly illegal.

As ive said before.. delivering a 1080p picture without 5.1 sound seems nonsensical, especially when talking about movies.

I guess its all about choice.  I totally understand how in your position you are happy with the high quality big players being in 4K and Atmos etc... and accepting that NowTV content is just 720 and 2.0 - I guess it all comes down to what you watch.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@ReadyPlayer2

We’re are you getting the deals
From I can’t seem to get any at the moment I personally need an entertainment offer and I will soon need a movies offer
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Cancel your subscription and on the second confirmation they offer discounts