cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
File a complaint with the ASA.

Although I’m sure they don’t care, I filed complaint about something else and was told the company has a computer glitch and they were working with them to resolve. What a joke as they still blatantly break the law. Computer glitch my ######.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes your right @nst. How very sad that 8 months of doing work as beta testers and it comes to this. As yourself I’ve now resorted to the firestick myself which is not my preferred option but until the appletv gets sorted it will do. 

AlexB83
Scholar 2

Just as an interesting aside, with BT sport ultimate on apple TV they offer 4k and hdr content but not 4k hdr where as many devices do offer this. So it's not only now tv which doesn't offer full support 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
What’s funny is I’ve found bugs with the new Discovery+ app, I contacted them, they replied within 24 hours and the issue was fixed in the next release. Plus their app uses the native tvOS layout.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anyone managed to get Boost Mode working in any way? Obviously the surround sound is completely gone despite the 5.1 tag, but I can't even get it to show the 8mbit 1080p stream. I've watched a few shows so far in the public build and the quality is at best 720p and with the compression set to an insane level. It looks absolutely abysmal. 

If I fire up the Now TV app on my LG OLED I sometimes get the 8mbit 1080p feed and 5.1 audio. I don't always get 1080p, it's regressed and will often get stuck at 720p. This didn't used to happen. My connection is fine needless to say. 

I'm struggling to comprehend why the Apple TV is so bad. It was in development for literally YEARS, and yet when it's finally released it's horribly broken. 

If nothing else it's simply dishonest, perhaps illegally so to advertise something as 1080p with 5.1 audio when that simply isn't true. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello everyone.

I have been lurking here for a few months following this waiting patiently on the new app but have now made an account just to post this...

I have been a dedicated NowTV fan for a very long time, since the Apple TV 2 almost a decade ago! Recently upgraded to a 4K HDR setup with 5.1 surround and excitedly loaded up a movie on the NowTV app and... it looks... absolutely awful. Some scenes are ‘okay’ but the compression is so, so noticeable in many other scenes, and the lack of 5.1 surround is mindblowingly out of date. Do they know what year this is?

This was what drove me to find this thread and I was excitedly following along the beta news about the new app but now I honestly cannot believe what they’ve released after all these years.

I’ve decided it’s Now time to stop recommending NowTV to friends and family and to look elsewhere for the content I watched on it. Disney and certain major movie releases have already left to better streaming platforms, but that still leaves HBO content. Good news there though, guys: https://www.hexus.net/ce/news/entertainment/147082-hbo-max-coming-europe-latin-america-2021/

HBO Max coming to Europe starting in 2021 with aim to be worldwide ASAP. Not only is that HBO shows, but many movies as well. Sky may well have deals at the moment but I expect those contracts will be expiring soon enough. Then there will essentially be nothing left on NowTV. I hope it dies a quick and painful death so we can get onto watching content on modern services.

Oh, and the quality of HBO Max? 4K HDR Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos — the quality you’d expect for 2021. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
That’s great news hopefully it kicks Nowtv into touch or we can finally get a decent app so we can stop using Nowtv
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I see what you are saying.. but ultimately this isn't about NowTV as a "thing" as that in itself is fine.

What I mean is... its content is unique, and if you are in the market for Sky Cinema, Sports, and Entertainment channels such as Sky1 and Sky Atlantic its is the cheapest way of getting them... and in many ways better than a full fledged SkyQ subscription.

Yes, of course Disney+, Amazon, and Netflix have managed far superior sound and vision for the last few years... but for reasons best known to itself.. Sky/NowTV need their streaming platform to be limited to 1080p and 5.1 (for risk of cannibalising lucrative and expensive SkyQ subscriptions that offer 5.1 and 4K).

The problem here is purely down to inconsistent Apps across platforms.

In my opinion.. if they cannot provide an app for a platform that provides the FULL experience including boost support should the user require it, then they should not support the platform at all.  Controversial opinion maybe but it would sort a lot of problems here.  Platforms that cannot be provided with the full experience should be dropped from their portfolio.  And, yes, I include the AppleTV here - as they have not been able for whatever reason to launch a simple app with functionality that is, lets face it, years behind others.  The problem with releasing the half baked app is that it opens up all the complaints as seen in this thread and rightly so.  We have waited a long time for this app and to get it in this state is appalling.

They should not have released that app on AppleTV without full boost.  In doing what they have done they have opened up a can of worms including false advertising / labelling content as 5.1 when it is not.... and charging full boost price when they are not getting what they paid for.

Your issues would be solved immediately if you switched to, say, a fire stick or the PS4/Xbox or NowTV stick... as they all seem to manage HD and 5.1 adequately (as they should in 2020).

As an appleTV user I do this grudgingly - I now use Fire stick for NowTV.. and I am counting the days (but not holding my breath) until they fix the app and I can use it.

AlexB83
Scholar 2

I am thinking of getting a fire stick 4k instead of using built in LG apps as that offers 50fps plus has a bt sport app and continue to use my Apple TV HD on bedroom TV. I don't really see how what they are doing by omitting 5.1 on apple TV is any worse than not having 50fps are some platforms

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst 

I understand your position, but I don’t quite see it that way... I’m not really looking for a cheap way to access Sky content. I’m more than happy to pay a premium for a 4K, Dolby Atmos streaming service. The only thing is I can’t have a satellite dish installed. I also don’t care about recording TV, let alone live TV, and I want to access all the content through my AppleTV with the superior interface and features.

So NowTV is currently one of those streaming services on the market that has exclusive access to certain movies & shows. I see it like another Netflix, Amazon, or Disney+. The difference is they all offer modern visual and sound fidelity and NowTV is now simply the crap streaming platform. Unless that changes (which judging by this thread seems incredibly unlikely), then as soon as the content is available in better quality elsewhere on another streaming service, I’m gone.