cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
AlexB83
Scholar 2

The TV I use my Apple TV on is in the bedroom it's the hd version as had it since it came out and just an hd TV. I have an LG TV as main which is 4k and just use the built in app but I am considering changing to a 4k firestick due to frame rate and them having a bt sport app as currently I have an old Chromecast in the back of it. I couldn't justify the price of an Apple TV and already use plenty of Amazon devices and services 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are they that unorganised that they’re claiming one thing on the email and have no plans on delivering it?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Looks that way
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’d previously looked at a Fire Stick during the Black Friday sales. But frame rate matching isn’t supported in apps like Netflix and neither is Atmos. There is a reason why the Apple TV costs more! Just because NowTV don’t play, everyone else does. Only exception is Netflix doesn’t support interactive content on Apple TV, but does do frame rate matching, Dolby vision and Atmos. So I got a 4K Apple TV to upgrade a HD one.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
So there was an update for the iOS app last night but nothing for the TVOS do we take it that it’s not universal then?
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Well I note the version number is different, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it isn’t. I’m not sure if you can link apps in the App Store, but different code for each or if they have to be universal.

Let’s face it this app is never being updated, or having features added. At least not for many years. It’s taken 5 years and this app is barely functional by modern standards. I note an Irish user said the app there isn’t regularly updated, although it’s changelog mirrored the iOS one when I checked (which in turn mirrored the U.K. iOS one).
nst
Elite

my tinfoil hat is firmly on at this point...

I think that any updates to the app.. to include the miraculous "fix" of 5.1 audio (I totally do not accept that there is any technical reason why they can't get a 5.1 sound stream working in 2020) ... and potentially allowing it to integrate fully with the TV app will come after an arbitrary amount of time.

This amount of time could be weeks, could be months.  Its probably available right now in a build somewhere that they have been working on for the last 8 months but weren't allowed to release...

But we will only get it released to us once the Amazon exclusivity deal has expired and Amazon have been able to flog as many Fire Sticks to the NowTV customers as possible (£17.99 today!).

Once that time has passed... then NowTV will be allowed to make the AppleTV app everything it should have been from the start.... but not before

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst  What you mean by exclusivity deal are you sure about this. I myself have just contacted the trials manager this Morning called Anne. I received a reply saying the 5.1 will be in a future update. I was not happy with that so replied back saying it’s false Advertising. I asked why wasn’t this rolled out to Apple TV yet it was to the firestick. I even suggested she come to the forum and make a post but she’s not allowed.  

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I don't!  At all.... its just wild speculation on my part.

We've all got the party line that 5.1 is due later.. and they thought it best to launch "boost" on the platform whilst not actually providing full boost functionality.

Also they seem quite content.. as you say.. to falsely advertise their content on the platform as having a 5.1 soundtrack  - they can't be bothered to take off the 5.1 label so AppleTV boost subscribers DO have the impression they are getting 5.1 when they are not.  Good on you for pointing that out to them.

My theory is just that.. a theory.. and has no basis in fact or knowledge in the slightest.

However... Im quite sure there's something to it!  When you connect the dots it makes sense.

I don't understand why they would want to disable the AppleTV app at all... and make it inferior to the Fire Stick one - that none of us had any idea was about to imminently launch....

I don't understand how they "have problems" providing a 5.1 sounds stream when literally EVERY other streaming app on the platform manages it with no problem whatsoever and even surpasses it with ATMOS in some cases. 

We were promised full boost right along.. and then it didn't appear.  Why?  what reason could there be unless its presence in some way disadvantaged someone else... and when a new app on a platform is released that platform owner obviously wants to encourage as much use of that app on their platform as possible and give other platform users a reason to switch to them....

... just saying 🙂 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst yes I get what your saying. Another question here I’m viewing the now tv app on the firetv stick it’s showing the stream as 128 in the far corner. I’m assuming that’s 1280 hd. Picture quality is nice I must admit. It seems people who have an LG smart tv get different numbers like 4431. Would be nice to know what all these numbers mean.