cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
It’s funny before the trail ended we were asked to rate the app whether is was fit for use. I rated for occasional use, because let’s face it that’s about the most you’d use the ugly, slow, and feature lacking app.
nst
Elite

I find the whole trial quite bemusing.

It went on for months.

We reported back many things that were "fed back to the development team" and subsequently totally ignored.

We were directly promised a couple of features that would be in the release version (boost and TV app integration) - they were not.

We were left for months with basically the same build of the app - in fact over the 8 months we actually only got 3 versions of the app, and really only one of those was a materially different (bug fixed) version.

We had no feedback about what had been fixed, and if any of the things we raised had been addressed.... just 'keep testing'.

And the final survey thing was just weird.... seemed mandatory.. and what i saw anyone who rated it low was asked to re-rate it higher otherwise it couldn't go live.  Bit odd that.

Anyway.... feels to me like we achieved nothing.  Contributed nothing, and were a basic box ticking exercise whilst they carried on and delivered whatever they wanted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tweeted yesterday Sky Corporate regarding the Appletv app. The ceo is Stephen van Rooyen head of Europe operations. This is the main guy for Nowtv maybe worth tweeting the sky Corporate Twitter page asking why this app is so bad and why the firetv has been given 5.1. I’ve just loaded the nowtv app on the Apple device and it took ages to load up. No problems on the firetv device. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree with all the negative sentiments expressed in this thread. 

I was very frustrated that the app had not been updated for years, then very excited with rumours of this update, only to find out it was so bad, that in the end, I cancelled my Boost upgrade and reverted back to the old App as the new one was useless.

The main issues for me are:

1- Slow / unresponsive scrolling when swiping.

2- Lack of Fast forward scrubbing (using the AppleTV interface remote)

3- No Siri search / dictation

4- Poor interface generally

5- No 4k / HD

6- No 5.1 Surround or Atmos

The only advantages were the appearance of a "Continue watching" and Watch List, but overall, that was not enough to keep me using it.

I have now re-installed the old app, and will cancel my Movies sub when my Special offer runs out too.

I am likely to keep my Entertainment pass for now, but still debating this.

Apple TV support is a must, especially when you see other streaming apps delivering so much better.

AlexB83
Scholar 2

I cannot believe anyone would rather use the old app over the new. Yes the app isn't perfect but the picture quality is superior over the old one it's not even close

nst
Elite

@AlexB83 

I can kindof understand it.

Bear in mind that the new app has several new features (if not all that we wanted) and things like a watchlist and continue watching function are quite useful.

However I do see how the old app was easier to navigate, and easier to use with scrubbing etc using the native appletv remote.  In comparison the new app is exceptionally clunky - although a lot of others manage to be much better they all still don't have that great thumbnail scrubbing that is so handy.

The Firestick one is better as the remote has ff/rw buttons which the appleTV does not.

I can certainly see how some would be happy to sacrifice pic quality for an easier interface but its rather sad to see the much maligned app still has things going for it.  The new one should have blown it out of the water!... it didn't.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst 

Amazon has just dropped the Firestick 4K to £39.99 the normal one to £34.99 and the Firestick Lite to £17.99.

Makes it even more of a good opportunity. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@AlexB83 I get you, and I'm frustrated but found the impossibility to fast forward easily, or even occasionally, to simply pause whatever I'm watching too awful and more annoying than a drop in picture quality. 

Moreover, I haven't found a good film to watch in ages from Now, whereas, Netflix, Amazon and Apple iTunes have kept me very happy in 4k resolution and good sound, so now mostly using Now TV for average US TV shows, and I'm not that fussed for the quality of the image. 

AlexB83
Scholar 2

It seems like a lot here are just on the entertainment/movie pass where as I subscribe to sports also and 50fps is huge for me. There is no way I'd go back even if it means faffing about for a few seconds and use the just watch app (it's really good) for seeing what new stuff there is out on all apps 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree, there is a big divide as I never watch any sport, frame rate not that critical. 

I just wish they had just used the Apple User interface guidelines and hooks, the app would then be great for everyone.