cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
AlexB83
Scholar 2

I have literally just had an email from now tv saying to upgrade to the new Apple TV app and advertising the fact it's available. If they were trying to move people away from Apple TV not sure they would have done that

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The lack of a full HD/5.1 facility is definitely a purchasing driver for me. Had the Apple update offered full Boost I would have bought an ATV box. However, now that it’s surfaced on the Amazon hardware with full Boost and 50fs (from what I understand) then it’s a no-brainer. Amazon gets yet more of my business, Apple doesn’t. 

It’s clear that the Amazon thing has been driven by business. Amazon had something that Sky wanted (football) which sealed the deal. That’s where all of the development effort has been focussed by Sky. Apple had nothing to offer, so we get, in essence, the same old beta app. that’s been around for ages. I can’t see Sky being that bothered about what Apple users think of the broken app. They don’t care.

The Amazon 4K firestick is nowhere near as good as the Apple hardware, but now it offers something that a lot of Amazon hardware users have been after for a long time. The only losers here are those of us that own Apple kit and are bothered by the rubbish NowTV app.

The message is clear: if you want/need to use a streaming device for NowTV and other services, Amazon is your friend, not Apple. FWIW, I don’t think Apple care much about this. NowTV is such a niche service it probably doesn’t even register on the corporate radar. Nothing to see here (or in this case, hear), move along. I think that I have more chance of contracting anthrax than the NowTV app. on Apple kit has of getting 5.1 audio.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh, and the Amazon ads. for their Firestick on amazon.co.uk all feature the NowTV icon.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Hi @nst 

I just downloaded the app on Amazon tonight,and it has 5.1 audio in the boost settings,either stereo or surround sound.

Also noticed 7831 in the top right corner,then 192,and 132,dont know what that means,but the picture quality is spot on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I must be honest i'm considering getting the Firestick now but not sure if to get the standard one or the 4K one. It has fastforward buttons on that remote unlike us

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

Thinking the same if I’m honest, I could but to cubes for the price of one Apple TV, but I must admit I prefer apples
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I don't think the Amazon Fire Cube is supported at the moment think it's just the Sticks but i'm not actually sure what the cube brings over the sticks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

I will stick to Apple then, better the devil you know I suppose.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I may get one of the 4K ones for £50 they seem have a lot of apps to be honest including the Apple TV one.

Mikeaj96
Scholar

@Anonymous User From what I’ve read the Cube is essentially a Fire TV & Alexa Smart speaker rolled into 1.

It has more processing power than the sticks, but this is needed as it’s essentially 2 devices in 1.

The 4K stick & now Discontinued Fire TV box (2nd Gen) continue to be the best performance wise, at least according to some benchmarks I’ve seen.