cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Sounds like an app bug, good luck getting it fixed. Noting previously the old app wasn’t updated for 5 years, leaving it hang at a blank screen at the end of a show, amongst other issues.
nst
Elite

My hope is that if this is now a universal app (I havent checked) then we can hope that it will continue to be refined with the same frequency that the iOS version does.

Theres no denying that the iOS one receives many updates over the year so hopefully changes to the TVOS version will fall in line (again assuming its a universal app).

Im still in utter disbelief that they havent been able to get 5.1 working.  The app was in beta for 8 months.  8 months.  and many of us reported the lack of boost support literally from day 1.  They've had 8 months to get something working on a platform that literally EVERY other streaming app manages to do.  This does not bode well for it being actively worked on and promised in an update soon (as the Twitter feed told me yesterday) - I don't believe this is forthcoming soon at all.

I can only guess their app is so proprietary and dare I say it badly written that for some reason they couldn't get it to work with 5.1 sound.  

Again, im beyond flabbergasted that someone in their marketing department saw fit to release "boost" without 5.1 and have the audacity to say that most customers appreciate the multi stream and hd picture so are happy with what they have - despite paying for 5.1 sound as well as all the other customers paying the same price get on all the other boost supported platforms. 

I can understand why some lesser platforms struggle with 50fps etc... and that seems to be a reasonable thing for boost to leave off on those platforms.  But... 5.1 sound?  come on... you can't offer boost without that.  I, for one. who pay for boost am not willing to watch content in hd without 5.1 sound - especially as I pay for it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst @I understand exactly where your coming from it does begger belief simply cancel the boost as ive just done. I’ve not seen that much of a change in picture quality to justify the £3. Yes I’ve got an old LG Tv and it’s still supported. If I turn my nowtv 4k box on I see the picture quality is different to the Apple TV. But as you so rightly say to have no 5.1 is not right. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m happy that we finally received an update for NOW TV on the Apple TV platform.

But like most of the other members here, I can’t understand who in Sky management thought it was a good idea to launch the app without DD 5.1 support.

Like some other member mentioned, we don’t ask for 4K or Dolby Atmos, just simple 5.1 sound.

I can only imagine that Sky/Now has to pay a big fee to Apple or Dolby Labs to use DD on the Apple TV platform.

No other explanation makes any sense. And as long as NOW TV can get away with selling Boost on the Apple TV without 5.1 support, and no one is cancelling boost, nothing will change.

The Boost option is easy money for NOW TV, because you already pay for the basic service. So unless a big group of Boost subscribers keep paying the monthly £3, and don’t cancel it, nothing is going to change.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Absolutely.

5.1 is an essential element of boost.. surely.  I mean, someone who has an HD tv (um, everyone) will most likely have a 5.1 capable sound bar or system.  I can't imagine many just want boost for HD picture.

I would never have called this outcome!  I would have half expected boost to not be supported... and i never truly believed them that they would be supporting the AppleTV TV app (despite being told they would) - but to release boost like this is like selling a car at full price without the wheels - who would think that's acceptable without a serious discount.

As a relatively happy-to-pay boost subscriber... I pay for this for a reason, and that's because when i watch movies on Sky Cinema I want them to have surround sound (I have a decent sound system) - and up till now ive been using the LG TV WebOS app.  I was really hoping that Boost was a given for the new app and I could stop faffing around with another remote just to watch Sky Movies.  This turns out to not be the case.

Its with genuine regret that having spent so much time working with the Beta version, that now the actual live version is released I still won't be able to use it and remain on my LG app.

I have emailed the trails manager.  After all, its them who told us that Boost and AppleTV app integration would be included at launch (we were told that back in August I seem to remember) - so id like them to at least get some feedback from the development team to try to understand what went wrong here and why the app launched without the features we were promised and more importantly if it is still their intention to rectify this.... as without 5.1 I can't use it.

Yes I could cancel my boost pass... and if AppleTV was my only streaming hardware then id be doing just that (or not having it in the first place!) - but I do want movies with 5.1 sound and frankly in 2020 why is this even an issue.  We know that NowTV are years away from 4K and Atmos offerings but 5.1?  come on.

I would encourage as many of the beta testers who care about this to engage with the trials manager and ask the same questions.  Why was the app released without the promised features and if and when we can expect it to be updated.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst @Yes certainly encourage everyone who was a beta tester to contact the trials manager and see when 5.1 will be implemented otherwise you should be entitled to a reduction in your monthly fee for boost. Also get clarification that will this new app get regular updates this needs to be asked. If this app never gets updated like the last one then it’s 8 months of beta testing down the drain. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I think trials fobbed us off like the Twitter account...

I note I was never promised boost when I asked, although it was stated Apple TV app integration and also voice search would be added. Neither of those are there either.

As I’ve said many times, vote with your feet and tell them in the cancel pop up why.
Mikeh_
Scholar

I’m having the same problem, seems to start when I go into the watchlist and scroll down, it loses all of the images then going back into the main screen all of the images have also disappeared including the channel idents from the TV guide, I have two 4K boxes and this happens on both, have emailed the trials manager to find out what’s happening as this issue wasn’t there on the beta 

AlexB83
Scholar 2

Remember boost was an option for those who didn't have a boost compatible device as it also allows for an extra concurrent stream. 

I'm glad the update has happened and the picture quality is a vast improvement. Would people want to wait until it's all ready in one go with complete radio silence. 

I feel your pain & disgruntlement @Anonymous User @nst ! But you’ve got off lightly by only having to endure for 8 months! It’s over 2 years since I first got involved with trialling a new NOW TV app for tv 😳