cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
When I downloaded it from the App Store it didn’t appear on the screen and it just replaced the existing one, am I doing something wrong here.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes mine did the same it replaced my beta app which meant it didn’t use up a space 👍

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I didn't have the beta app just the old 'normal' one...I ended up with both the Green and Yellow versions and I had to delete the old Green one manually, then log in to the Yellow one...

cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Up next is outside of nowtv and appears within appletv app
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Apps can integrate with the Up Next feature. In fact, almost all TV apps do. The point is, the NowTV app doesn’t and the developers or management have decided not to do so with this update. 

It seems they have issued the most basic of functionality with the main update being cosmetic. Poor tbh. 

Hooba
Scholar 3

My own view is that this fairly lacklustre new App lacks all the bells and whistles as that's exactly how NowTV want it.

Outside of Now branded devices, a couple of the Roku sticks, and good support for Sony / Samsung, Boost is poorly supported.

I've said before, but was shot down, that I suspect Sony and Samsung are paying for the privilege, in much the same way that LG did years back for SMART TV exclusivity. Apple are having none of that though.

Anyway - I've deleted the app off one of my AppleTVs (the one plugged into a 5.1 system) but have left it on my other AppleTV (no 5.1 hooked up to that). Overall I'm reasonably content. The 1080p 50FPS is well worth having. And I can still blast 5.1 NowTV through my BT box (also fully recordable). There was clearly a deal done there too (with BT/Youview).

Perhaps this thread will now be left to wither and die ? ! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hoping someone can save me some time (I have gone back 3 pages out of 178) and I think I see that there is an updated APP for NowTV on the Apple TV.  Might this fix the login issues I am having (can't login directly on the box but if I login on my laptop then skysports matches appear on the appleTV without further logging in).  How do I find out which version of the nowtv app is installed on my apple TV box?

Many thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Green logo = old
Orange logo = new

New app released today and is a separate download, not at update.
nst
Elite

Well, a couple of updates.

1.  The "new" app... has a boost section in settings but when you try to select it you get a non sensical message about changing audio options in the devices settings... whats that all about.

2.  yes.  No 5.1.  In my opinion this should not currently be called "boost" as "boost" is a £3 per month extra that gives you 1080p AND 5.1 audio.  Not one or the other.  Both.  So AppleTV does not yet support Boost.  Damn annoying.

3.  I've emailed the trials manager asking what the rationale is to release the app with no 5.1 when boost was promised to us who all mentioned it since starting the trial in March.  Why its not been possible to support 5.1 in the app is beyond comprehension.... She replied and said she would ask the development teams what the situation is.

4.  I had a bit of a whinge on Twitter to the infamous NowTV Help account (the one that makes stuff up as they go along)... anyway they said that 5.1 would be supported in the future.

Someone just said that this thread would wither away.... now the app has been finally released.  Well, it wont until the app actually delivers what it should.

Annoyingly the whole purpose of this exercise was to use my AppleTV as my only streaming box.. and still I can't do this because of lack of 5.1 support.  Im annoyed that I have to keep checking back until such time they finally support the decades old standard of 5.1 in their streams.... I do not want to continue to have to use other apps a minute longer than necessary due to this.  I was hoping it would all be over but it isn't.

I must admit I could never have predicted todays outcome.  I was hoping for boost support... I was prepared for them to release the app without boost support... but couldn't have imagined that the Apple TV would become a special case of boost-lite.

We can but hope that.... if the app is now universal (did anyone check?) that it will be more continuously improved (at least we got something released at long last I suppose) - and that 5.1 is a huge priority for them...

Imagine all the new or potentially new customers who only have an appleTV... and then pay the £3 boost subscription only to find that its not fully implemented... the complaints  they will have are numerous.

Speaking of complaints.. on the AppleTV now... movies and TV shows ARE tagged as HD and 5.1.  This is a trades description issue.  They are NOT 5.1.  They should not be marked as such.

So fingers crossed.  I had hoped that today would be the day to draw a line under this.... but it really isn't.

I don't get technically why boost isn't  supported.  I don't get why they released the app with it only half supported.  its 5.1 for goodness sake.  Not even asking for 4K and Atmos.... or even 7.1.  I don't get why the beta trialists have been banging on about boost support since March and it still isn't properly supported.  They've had more than enough time this year.

Sigh.  Back to my LG TV's built in app.  At least I get 1080 and 5.1 there.  Please please please lets get this sorted asap.

Hooba
Scholar 3

Perhaps it's not a technical issue?