cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I very much doubt anything will be fed back, never mind a slap on the wrist. They are humouring customers, it’s their job.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User So I'm a total HD fascist, I hate watching anything in lower quality than I have to. 

Our two main TVs are a 47" LG 2020 TV (I can't give you the exact model number, but it was bought right at the beginning of the year). It's LED, not OLED, as we watch quite a lot of news channels so OLED burn in wasn't an option for us. It's got a Sonos soundbar.

Our second TV, we have a dumb Toshiba 32" bought a few years back, and that has a Now TV Smart Box plugged into it, which we got for free when we signed up to Now Broadband in 2017. 

The LG TV has an option of 'AI upscaling' which I thought would be a heap of rubbish, but genuinely, it makes our Now TV subscription (I refuse to pay for Boost under any circumstances) look absolutely amazing. It looks somewhere higher than 1080p but certainly not 4K. For reference, we stream a lot of 4K content from Amazon and Netflix, also iPlayer too, so I know what native 4K looks like. 

If you plug in a device to play Now TV on the LG though, the AI upscaling absolutely struggles. It clearly needs to be native within the TV's apps to work properly. The same is on iPlayer, any other streaming service.

The Now Smart Box I think still delivers a really picture quality, really. I know it's on just a 32" Toshiba cheap TV but it really does look very very good to my eyes. Definitely looks 1080p. iPlayer and Now look no different on that TV through the same box.

I've always actually thought the ATV gives by far the best picture quality of all the streamers, personally. But maybe that's just my Apple fanboy leanings.

Sorry if this post has been totally off topic for everyone else!

FWIW, I agree with @Anonymous User  that there's clearly something going on between Now and Apple at this point. The app is done. It won't launch with TV integration and it may not launch with Boost. They're clearly having arguments over in-app purchasing commissions. Once Apple allowed Amazon to do it, it became practically a free-for-all for all other streamers to demand the same terms. I mean I could be totally wrong, but knowing how ruthless Sky is as a company (I mean it's now owned by Comcast, notoriously awful customer service in the US and totally hostile to all other companies) it wouldn't surprise me if they're just arguing with Apple over App Store cuts at this point. Seems like the kind of cynical thing they'd do. 

If you follow that logic it also explains why Apple for some time now have never had Now as a featured app on the tvOS App Store main page. For absolutely ages it was, alongside iPlayer, All4 etc., they've totally buried it in the entertainment section the last couple of times I've looked. There's something going on between these two companies and we're just losing out in what is a stupid corporate argument, like when Amazon and Google fell out and YouTube just fell off all Fire and Echo devices. No-one wins in these arguments, it's just stupid greedy companies arguing between themselves and we all lose out a result. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’m sure NowTV still features on the Apple TV box, so it’s not buried that far. When it launched late on the original Apple TV HD it was the only Now TV app to offer HD. Suspect Apple mandated that.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Nothing to do with the app but i can’t believe they didn’t do any Black Friday deals this year, I asked and they said they were concentrating on the broadband instead, I’ve also noticed they getting hard to get a discount from never been the case before. Any tips to get any offers would be much appreciated hate the fact that I may have to pay full price for an app that doesn’t meet the standards of other streaming apps that cost less
Anonymous User
Not applicable
You don’t have to pay for anything, this is why they get away with such a poor service.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

This is true
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What’s worse is if the app was good, and I note I don’t count the new trial app as good either, I’d probably be happy to be a regular ‘subscriber’ to NowTV.  But their app, including the new one, doesn’t allow you to rate content and doesn’t suggest things you’d also like. So this makes it hard to find stuff to watch, and I have no doubt that there is plenty of good content I’ve missed when I’ve had a pass. Currently only have a kids pass, and the new kids section in the trial app is actually quite good for them.  I note even continue watching has memory loss, as it only seems to remember viewed content for a short period of time, how user friendly. 

On the cost note, I’ve never paid full price. Either using vouches from eBay and Amazon or worst case from Currys which was still cheaper than paying direct. I even had a collection of sticks and boxes at one stage!  Or worst worst case a cancellation offer direct on the website.  Let’s hope there are some offers around when I next dip in for some box sets!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have 2 now tv accounts due to not be able to take up the Black Friday offer last year because I still had a valid pass . So today I went into my dormant account and the offer for me was Entertainment £4.99 a month for 6 months and Cinema £5.99 a month for six months.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

I never get offers I asked today why and they said the usual we work on offers all the time keep an eye out, never happens though
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am only going to take up the cinema offer for over Xmas as I have Sky Signature in the Lounge and only used now tv in the bedroom, but lately have not been watching upstairs. 
Had they had the yearly 12 months offer like last year I would have taken it but they have just lost £90 as I can do without. I can watch The Walking Dead downstairs.