cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Except they release a monthly iOS update of the app, and from the Irish universal release this appears to be the same app, it would imply someone was actively working on the code.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

It’s probably been asked before but has anyone seen or tried the Irish app? Does it have all the stuff that’s meant to be coming to the Uk version?
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’ve downloaded it by stetting up an Irish account Apple account, but you can’t log in with a U.K. NowTV account to fully test. But this is how I am sure it’s the same as the unreleased U.K. app as it looks and functions, as far as I can see, identically.

Although I didn’t think to see if top shelf worked, I also didn’t save my faux Irish store login to test again. I note another poster said they were in Ireland and have used the app and it was buggy. Which certainly fits with the earlier U.K. betas, leading me to believe they launched in Ireland bugs and all.

@nst Agreed about the plus side as all of our streaming is done using the Apple tv 4K now. And, as I previously mentioned after turning on the Developer HUD, it’s good to know that the PQ is HD when you’ve got an active Boost pass - even though it’s not officially supported - although the sound is still stereo (not 5.1).

nst
Elite

@willparkinson 

I think there is something in that.

Yes... its getting a bit daft isnt it.

Yes.  They must surely finally get something out there that replaces that terrible ancient app that we have to put up with.

And yes, I think that it would have been a better idea for NowTV to release what they have now... (the beta is OK more or less)... and then add to it very soon with the other things they are working on.

Of course, as ive said many times before I will not use this app if it is released without Boost support... but just to get something out there would be better than what they are doing.

Of course we have no idea whats happening or why.  But the beta version has been extended by almost another 3 months until it expires... that takes it well into 2021 but lets hold on to the 'promise' that they would be releasing in Autumn.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is clear they are trying to save Sky Christmas sales

the covid lockdown also helps to push such services

remember Sky is not pushing NowTV like normal Sky plans

SkyQ it is overly promoted

nowtv is for the long tail target (low spending)

within a service already demoted... the Nowtv stick/box is promoted because a one stop shop for other content (e.g Netflix and in the future maybe Disney+ for instance)

app on other box is the last within the last ones

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I use the Irish app and it has no further integration with AppleTV features, top shelf etc. has not been implemented. We never got access to boost, still no release date, so I obviously can't comment how well it works.

The app itself has had a fair few bugs created and fixed but updates are few and far between. For instance if you watched live TV and left the app, when you opened the app again all you would get was a spinning wheel. This was a bug they introduced via an update and you had to kill the app to fix it. Then it took weeks to fix it, clearly no testing was done before release.

The app also doesn't update in the background or when it re-opens. So today they will be advertising whatever football is on at the top of the "home screen", tomorrow it'll still be there. The lack of refreshing can also be seen in the watch list, if I add a new show from my phone, I'll have to kill the app to force it to refresh the watch list. This also affected the channel logos in the TV guide and the pass sections, they would just be blank, again you needed to kill the app but it seems to have been fixed.

Also it doesn't update when the iOS app updates so it wouldn't appear to be the universal app they have promised.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Sounds like the normal NowTV quality then!

The current U.K. beta app isn’t that bad, but I suspect the Irish one is an older build. From your comments it sounds like the code we’ve been testing hasn’t been rolled into the Irish app then.

This is all a mess really, but it doesn’t surprise me, it’s almost like they don’t want your money. Which probably isn’t far from the truth, except they do seem to support some platforms more seriously.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I did read an article the other day that Comcast were drastically loosing cable subscribers etc and that they want to invest heavily into streaming, surely that’s a good sign for us all.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Its a shame really.. we are so nearly there.

Its so true that they favour other platforms and the AppleTV has been the lowest of the low for many years.

Almost on the other end of the scale.. we have the iOS / iPADOS app - this seems very well supported and is regularly updated - about once every couple of months or so.

So... once the TVOS app is sorted and its all rolled into one universal app (we can only hope common sense prevails here)... then from that point on we can hope that the TVOS app will get fresh updates as quickly as the iOS/iPADOS one (as its the same app).

This public release.. however... is taking way too long.