cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Great memory! 🙂 

However ... its way worse than that.   The "TVOS" version that we have been saddled with, at the time, was not new.  

We were expecting a re-write in line with the (then) new AppleTV as a launch app for the new box with its new OS.. NowTV missed the launch deadline and the app wasnt available at all for a few weeks.

We then ended up with a lazy port of the OLD app which had been running on the previous generation AppleTV boxes for the last few years before that.

At the time, as disappointing as it was to not get something new.. it felt like the lazy port was there short term as a placeholder as NowTV were one of the flagship apps that were advertised by apple as being supported on the new platform.

Little did we realise that the lazy port would still be here 5 years later.

So... not so much happy 5th birthday....its actually more like 10+.

AlexB83
Scholar 2

Now tv is only 8 years old. But I am going to be optimistic and do think it's coming soon and once they do hopefully it will be easier to add new features 

“Just for a larf”, I searched my email archive this morning to see how long this Apple tv beta trial has been running.

Found that I enrolled on 9 August 2018 and that the trial eventually began (with a beta version 4.2 of the app) on 11 December 2018. Current version expires in 14 days.

Fingers crossed for public release before it stops working (AGAIN) - but to be honest I’m not holding my breath or betting the house that it will happen!

Surprise and delight me NOW TV Trials Team...

benryanmills
Scholar

New build now out to replace the expiring one.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Just downloaded but can’t see any difference or what we’re meant to look out for, probably just released it to extend the trial time, it’s up to 89 days now.
benryanmills
Scholar

Warning to anyone updating to the new build! The “Entertainment” pass section is completely missing from the app. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Lol

New build, implies it’s released to extend expiry date. You have to laugh as no changes noted.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yay, the release notes state no changes. 

A release with no changes to extend the expiry date. You have to laugh, it’s been months and no updates to the beta app, which implies it’s either considered compete or it’s currently abandoned. 

Not the outcome we wanted to see (end of beta & a public release) after almost 2 years of beta trialling - but at least it’s not going to be left to expire (like previously)!

As @benryanmills commented earlier:

Warning to anyone updating to the new build! The “Entertainment” pass section is completely missing from the app.”

LOL! So it is! Downgraded to 6.2.8(2) until it’s fixed - hopefully within the 12 days before 6.2.8(2) expires!  But I suppose you never know what might happen next...