cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi ,

I had Roku Ultra but moved to apple TV 4k recently and finding Now TV app on Apple TV box is frustrating to say least . It appears new Now TV app is under development for sometime now so wondering how I can sign up for beta and get rid of this old ###### ?

nst
Elite

Hopefully, @Anonymous User there is no point in joining the beta at this juncture.

Depending on who you believe.. the updated version is due anytime from 2 weeks ago through to the end of the autumn.

It coming... but we have no idea when.  The beta test has been ongoing since March.

The beta testers are completely in the dark too.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst - Umm make sense but read somewhere they abandon earlier beta and autumn is long window .

hope they launch in next couple of weeks or in a month . 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

No, thats not quite right.  They may well have abandoned last years attempt at a beta test (though there is a school of thought that suggests this version actually made it live but only in Ireland and Italy)...

However this current beta has been ongoing since March.  There have been 3 (well 2 and a half) builds.

We were told a launch in Autumn.  Publicly via Twitter some people were told "in a couple of weeks" a few weeks ago however I think its a fair comment to say the twitter account seems to have no real idea whats going on so take that with a pinch of salt.

Autumn officially is september to december so indeed they have a long window however I would imagine that if the current ancient app is finally failing for some users of TVOS13 or 14 then their hand will surely be forced.

As many have noted.. the beta version that we have currently, although far from polished and perfect, is stable enough for release... so presumably can be done soon... HOWEVER there are a couple of significant areas of functionality that have been promised in the final version that will not be made available in the beta.  We dont know how much more work is required to get that sorted and how much delay fr the final go live.

As ever, we just have to wait and see.    Im certainly very keen for the final version to be released and hopefully support Boost.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I asked to join the trial today and the trial manager kindly obliged and confirmed their plan for an autumn release.  I've been using it all day and I'm impressed so far.

Just to confirm regarding boost.  I tested without paying for boost using the developer HUD and it definitely was 720p so to get boost you need to have the pass.  For me 720p is good enough for the F1 on my older TV so I'm happy either way.  

This build looks like its stable for tvOS 14 but some additional functionality is being added to other platforms which is sports on demand.  I have found on demand sports content by searching for it but on demand is not yet an option in the UI.  I imagine that this will be added into another release before it goes public and that will probably be the release candidate.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

I like this build also, glad you like it also and welcome to the trial, I’ve been holding off getting a new Apple TV for my upstairs bedroom as I can’t bare the old app so hopefully it won’t be to long to wait.
rlpsmith
Mentor

@Anonymous User how did you get in contact with the trial manager to get the beta app?

I asked on here before but was told it wasn’t possible to join now but clearly it is.

How do I go about this?

Hopefully the more of us that can get signed up there more chance they’ll realise it’s something to keep investing time in.

thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Absolutely, sign me up. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was on the first trial which seemed to fizzle out after a while.  I came across this thread talking about a new trial then replied to the email invite from the first trial which went to the trials manager.  I got a reply back in a couple of hours with new T's and C's etc then got signed up.

I wonder if it was because I was on the first trial that allowed me to join again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've sent an email to the trials manager asking if they are open to getting more testers signed up.  Ill let you know what they come back with.