cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
benryanmills
Scholar

The trialsmanager seems to be up and running again. Extremely responsive now.

I don’t know how much I’m allowed to say, but they’ve confirmed to me today what we knew already, that it’ll be here in the next few months (Autumn) and that there WILL be support for boost. 

Something that will have to be seen to believed, but at least the trials manger is directly giving these responses now. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I won’t hold my breath, it’s been released in Ireland with bugs, yet the more polished pretty much bug free version isn’t released here. Hmmm.

Did you pin down which autumn, is that 2020 or 2021?!
benryanmills
Scholar

I would imagine the buggy version was put out in Ireland as a beta much like it is here. Why it was released to the public and not a beta however is a mystery.

Very much Autumn 2020 😂 the latest build wouldn’t include a fix for tvOS 14 if they weren’t planning on releasing it in line with that. I’ve got a feeling we’ll see the app launched late September / early October. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
A tvOS 14 fix has nothing to do with it, they’ve fixed a bug. This code I suspect is universal from the Irish release being as such An iOS 14 crash bug existed in the U.K. public iOS app until it was fixed this week, suspect it’s the same fix.
ScottishMike
Mentor

I can’t believe this thread is over four years old!?

Just back fo my 6 monthly check-in to see if they’ve bothered to update it yet and the answer is no. At least they’re predictably rubbish.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ScottishMike

In fairness the beta app in development is very very good so they are working on it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I wouldn’t say good, it’s acceptable and an improvement. It totally ignores the tvOS user interface and controls, so it doesn’t look like a tvOS app and you can’t interact with it like one.

I note I have a Roku in the kids bedroom, a NowTV one, the latest update actually had the cheek to replace the Roku home page with launching the NowTV app and placing the Roku app icons inside. So it’s slower to get to what you want, unless NowTV, and obviously doesn’t even look like native Roku now. So they don’t seem to care about integration.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Interesting points but..

Firstly, quite a few AppleTV apps 'ignore' whatever the TVOS conventions are (come to think of it all the apps are so different to one another ive no idea what that even means)

Netflix does its own thing, so does Amazon Prime Video, so does iPlayer etc.

Given IPlayer as an example.. the BBC develop their app across many platforms and they try to keep them as uniformly similar as possible to give the user a similar experience regardless of platform... and all NowTV are doing is the same.

So yes, its works a bit weird compared to other things but its not so bad.

To be honest given what ive just said i think it wouldn't kill them to adopt the standard FF/RW scrubbing mechanism as thats a pain in the bum.

Your second point.... I know what you mean, and when I last tried my NowTV box I was surprised at the latest update.  It took me a few minutes to work out what on earth was happening.

However, to be fair... I dont use it as a streaming box and the other apps outside the NowTV one are largely irrelevant to me and so I actually prefer it starting 'inside' NowTV instead of having to go into it every time.

Also, this IS nowTV's branded box... (yes I know under the bonnet its a Roku) but still... its not unreasonable for NowTV to force its content front and centre.  You can alway buy a vanilla Roku stick where this wont happen but thats a little more money.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Nearly all the other tv apps I have, apple can show what is up next from the Apple TV app (meaning one app can find and open a show from another app) this includes apps such as; netflix, Allfour, prime, ITV, my5 and iplayer.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Im sure you appreciate what you are describing is "full AppleTV TV app integration"

Sure -  iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, My5, UKTV Play, Disney+ and Amazon Prime video all play nice with it.

However, thats not a given across the board.  Netflix is the obvious exception as they refuse to fully integrate which is a real shame.  Their content can be found in search, and even added to 'up next' but doesnt work fully as the others do.

When the updated NowTV app is launched it is rumoured it might also include full integration which is great.