cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think there has clearly been some shift behind the scenes last month as the Trial Team now seems to be willing to communicate with us as before that was not the case at all. This is a good sign of things to come while the app is not yet in it's full form from things i've been told they have a plan in place and that has filled me with confidence that soon the Apple TV Box will be beyond doubt the definitive streaming box for the UK. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@enaspace I agree after the things I’ve heard from the trials manager etc I think the future looks bright
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When this is released will it be available on the 2nd gen Apple TV??

Anonymous User
Not applicable
That device doesn’t support tvOS apps, so no.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I’ve just checked my Apple TV playback HUD, and it’s coming up as 1920 x 1080 now. Was 720 before.

Looks like we finally have Boost on the Apple TV, thank the maker!

nst
Elite

This is fascinating, and I don't mind admitting... baffling!

Are we really sure that the actual stream is 1080?  or just that the signal put out by the appleTV itself is higher - regardless of the quality of the stream that its showing.

The two are not the same.

Im still not sure that it can be 1080 via the beta app - mostly because those of us who have, and pay for, a boost pass do not yet have the option of switching it 'on or off' in the app - therefore id be surprised if it was being provided as 'on' - and also to be able to be 'on' yet for some reason lacking the 5.1 soundtrack.

Anyone else able to confirm the actual stream quality?

Having said that, perhaps they are using us to test a 1080p stream via the beta app but not telling us - it does mean however that those who do not have boost, and are getting the better stream in the beta will be disappointed when the live version is released and go back to 720.

It would be nice to get a bit more info from NowTV about whats included and whats not... but we dont get that... however hopefully the public release is only a matter of a couple of months away now.

@nst I finally got around to enabling developer mode today & turned on the playback hud - a quick look at one of the “boosted” sports channels definitely reported a 50fps frame rate (I do have Boost enabled, as I normally watch sport on the Roku SS+) despite the channel’s osg *not* showing it as the HD version which is 1080p. Will have another look at it later to try and grab a screenshot or make a note of the other stats shown! If anyone knows which label in the playback hud stats is the one that shows the available video resolution as reported by the source, which would confirmif it’s 720p or 1080p, please shout up! Thanks

Hooba
Scholar 3

@dr_necessitor The ones you need to look at:

• Display Resolution—This is the resolution at which your TV is connected to your Apple TV.
  • Video Display-size—This is the maximum resolution at which the currently playing video is available from the source.
  • Natural-size—This is the resolution at which the video is currently being displayed

So it's Video Display Size that's most important. I'd look myself but Xcode and my Mac aren't currently getting along.

Thanks @Hooba

Had a quick skim around all the Sports channels and the playback HUD reports “video approximate-display-size:3840 x 2160  natural-size:1920 x 1080” on all of them (it ramps up natural-size to 1920x1080 in a couple of seconds after switching to the channel) and “current-frame-rate” runs at about 50 on the six boosted channels, at about 25 on the other non-boosted channels. During the above tests, Sonos reported audio-in as “Stereo 2.0” on all the Sports channels (but I could hear that it wasn’t in any way surround sound!)

We do currently have a Boost pass (as we definitely get 5.1 sound via Roku SS+ on selected movies & entertainment viewing, and “some sort of surround sound” on live sports) but I suppose it might be useful to compare the above findings with somebody who doesn’t have a Boost pass to arrive at conclusions.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

When do you expect will coming out of beta? By end of September?