cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know I shouldn’t say this here, but do any other testers notice that the menu scrolling seems more responsive in the new build, that was supposed to be a change in the last build but it wasn’t any different then. 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I actually noticed that.

Its still nothing like 'native' responsiveness, but its a bit better and verging on the functional now instead of always just resorting to tapping up down left right etc on the scroll pad.

It does seem better.

But id reiterate, as a beta tester, id like to know whats changed.... so we can concentrate our efforts such as they are.

By not telling us, or implying at least by version number that its the same build as before.. then why continue to test and submit faults.   I for one cannot remember what faults I reported as it was a while ago now.... id really like to know whats been fixed in-between builds.

But again, boost aside.. i cannot see why this version isnt a release candidate.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It quite simply is 1080p/50fps on the relevant channels. F1 has been crisp and clean following the restart. the difference between the 50fps and 25fps channels is clear. The descriptors on the screens might be incorrect throughout but the video content is 'Boost'.

If it's not then when it's switched to Boost it'll be out of this world. 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

With the greatest of respect.... lets agree to disagree 🙂 

Believe me... i REALLY want boost!!  I need boost..... but it is not yet supported on the beta app.  At the very least, if you are a boost subscriber.... on any supported device you still have to 'activate' the boost pass you have before you get it - and thats possible only through the app's settings menu and the beta still does not have the boost pass presented there.

Many people over the last few months have reported the beta app to have a visibly better picture quality than the old app (lets face it, thats not hard!)..... but acknowledge that its not actually 1080p.

As ive noted in the past, 1080p compared to the Beta's quality is still streets ahead and very noticeable.

So, lets throw it out to others.... has anyone else noticed a '1080p' quality on their beta app?  Can anyone prove it is?  Has anyone asked the trials team about this?

As I said before - I just dont see how the 'boost' stream would only be so in picture and not sound 5.1 - so i think you are just noticing a better quality picture but its probably not 1080.

Very encouraging to 'know' from another poster that they have finally acknowledged boost will be included at launch... we can only hope this is true.

And one more point... we SHOULD be getting boost in the beta... what better and more important thing for us to test before it goes live??  

At least 6.2.8(2) still works on tvOS 14 public beta.

Agree somewhat with @Anonymous User that Sports does look crisp & “Boost”-like (and always has done for me) on this iteration of the beta trial, but obvs lacks the 5.1 sound (especially on Cinema).

So I still tend to favour watching everything via the Roku SS+ where Boost is (and always has been, even during the “inter-regnum” between iterations 1 & 2 of this beta trial) fully supported.

nst
Elite

its great it does look better... though id be fascinated if somehow through the beta people were getting true 1080p.

Does anyone have a TV that tells you the picture quality?  be interesting to find out instead of it being subjectively "better".

Obviously we've always known that the AppleTV is more than capable of the 1080p stream for boost - and thankfully it looks like boost support is coming.

Imagine... wouldn't it be great if boost was baked into the AppleTV app as compensation for the massively inferior experience the old app has given AppleTV customers for years.... of course thats not the case but hey :-0) 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

After nagging quite a few times since last September, I finally got access to the beta yesterday.

I don't believe it's a 1080p stream. At best still 720p in my opinion. I don't think there is a way to tell for sure. I can notice graininess on my 65" TV, especially around the edges of the text during credits and stuff. The sound is received by my Sonos system as "Stereo 2.0".

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

This is what I base my opinion on too.

Yes, to some people the beta looks better - for sure.

However, I compare my beta to the app running on the NowTV box (and also the built in LG WebOS app on my TV)... both of which support boost... and as "good" as the beta's app looks... there is a marked improvement in the true 1080p picture on the box and LG app.

Im not discounting peoples experience with the better picture quality - but as Boost is not there, not active, not signed in... its not 1080p! and certainly not 5.1 -   As I say, it would be nice if someone had a TV that could maybe tell them the actual picture quality off the AppleTV via the beta... but im sure its not 1080.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Just checked the bitrate on Now tv website and it clearly states 720p and stereo for the app on Apple tv, no boost yet!!!?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The video sync from the Apple TV to the receiving device will almost certainly show as 1080p or 2160p depending on which Apple TV or setup you have. 

But that's video sync resolution, not stream/content resolution.

In my experience, most if not all streaming content providers don't give you a way to tell what the current stream is running at. I suppose their thinking is that it would open a can of worms to give users that information.