cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’ve also emailed trails Friday morning, no response, but they didn’t response to my one from 2 weeks ago yet either.
Hooba
Scholar 3

As far as I can tell, this BETA is the same as the last BETA trial. But with a different colour scheme. 

There was nothing 'wrong' with the previous BETA. I think the previous BETA had 3 releases, but in reality each release was identical to the first. The later releases even has something like: "same as prevous build" on the notes (their spelling mistake, not mine, they made that mistake twice BTW). A couple of times the previous BETA was left to expire - so was unusable for a week to two, before the 'new' release came out.

So - it was a woeful experience, culminating in the final expiry, then silence. 

I only bothered signing up for this BETA in the hope that Boost would be supported. As it isn't supported I've launched the BETA twice (on the first day of release, then when the 'update' appeared) just to confirm no Boost, then closed it down.

None of this is cynicism - it's experience. And who knows, they may yet release a new App that does support Boost. Fantastic if they do. But I'm not exactly holding my breath or losing sleep over it. I'm expecting what we've had before - nothing !

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ah but the first beta did get released, just not in the U.K. to the people who tested. Which is insulting.
Duncaw67
Scholar 3

@nst 

Yeah 2 weeks on Monday to be precise and hopefully some feedback re:the app moving forward on the Apple tv platform, which I believe is nearly there in its final release, especially as they stated after build 1 boost capability would be included, we can but hope it will happen soon!!!!

nst
Elite

sadly, @Duncaw67 , they never actually stated that boost was definitely going to be supported - just that it wasn't yet and they encouraged the testers not to subscribe to a boost pass for testing the AppleTV app (as they knew it was not imminent perhaps).

The only thing they have stated IS coming on final release is full integration of the AppleTV TV app..and that it could not be provided for testing.  So, we can assume that is coming if they release the app to the public.

As ive said often... especially on the hardware of the AppleTV - Boost support is essential and theres not reason why it cant join the other platforms that support it.  I do have a nasty suspicion that it might not though.   We (maybe) shall see (eventually) hopefully.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Thanks @nst 

I have just checked the email from June 4 from the trials managers and you are spot on, re boost pass,but the one thing I am not happy about is he hopes to address the issue in a future update.

Is that  before the trial ends,or when it may be rolled out to everybody  mainstream on the Now tv app on Apple tv?

nst
Elite

@Duncaw67 

Of course.. and back then when they said they hope to address it in a future update I assumed that these iterative beta builds would be coming thick and fast as issues were identified and fixed.

So.. the reality over the last 5 months has been that we've only got a single update and in that update of course Boost is yet to be incorporated.

I think it would be insane to release it without - and was hoping to be able to test it in the Beta... but here we are.

The only positive thing I can add at this point is that it seems clear that most if not all of the AppleTV beta testers have made it very clear they want boost, and they consistently mention that they are aware of this and that we dont need to keep telling them!  Will they ignore our requests?  time will tell.

As ive said before, as a paying customer of a boost pass... I simply could not use the new app on the AppleTV if it doesnt support boost and all this considerable effort trying to test and help out would have been for nothing.  I hope thats not the case.  After all, why, when the hardware is fully capable of supporting it, would you not want your customers on a particular platform to get the best possible experience they can AND entice them to spend an extra £3 per month for the privilege.... makes no sense whatsoever to miss out on that and not support boost.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Hi @nst 

I still bought a boost pass for the last premier games shown in July, as I watched the games on my tv upstairs via my roku stick + and used the tv downstairs for the beta trial as most of the boxsets I watched ie (City of angels) and (Condor) are shot in native 24 fps the same as movies,but sports so much better in 1080p and surround sound.

nst
Elite

@Duncaw67 

Thats fair...

I dont watch sports at all - so the frame rate isnt something that affects my experience.

1080p and 5.1 however is a huge 'boost' to pic and sound quality over the standard and well worth it for me though for movies and tv.

as time goes by, and as the other serves compete even more fiercely - give that 1080 is standard elsewhere and for no extra cost i can see boost eventually becoming the norm and not an optional add-on.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

@nst 

As you and other bete trialists have stated in the past, boost is essential moving forward and we shouldn't have to pay extra in this digital age.

I know you don't follow sport, but I would say that it is there biggest platform on Now tv, and they know customers like me will still pay for the boost pass in the future and they have offered it to me 3 months for the price of 2, which I will purchase when the footy returns on Sept 12 hopefully, I'm a sucker for punishment.