cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Couldn’t agree more, I would really hate to have to go back to the old app as it’s awful.

I to am disheartened with the lack of communication, hopefully beta 3 or a full release would be amazing.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Agree with you both.

Communication has been shocking.  Beta 2 expires soon.

If it expires, then yes you'll have to go back to the old app.  Lets hope that doesnt happen but it feels like something isnt going right somewhere.

Personally I haven't used it much outside of testing because of the lack of boost support.  As I pay for boost, then of course I want to watch movies and content in 1080p 5.1 and the app doesnt do that.

On the plus side, I agree there aren't really many bugs and in fact you could even see beta 2 as a candidate for general release but im sure they've had enough time to further refine based on the feedback we've continued to give them and maybe the full release is coming soon.

One way or the other the trial seems to have completely collapsed now so we wait and see what comes out of the ashes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Well what’s funny is bugs didn’t stop them releasing an earlier version of this app to the Irish store. I agree there are no show stopping issues in the latest beta, it isn’t perfect but in works, just about.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

But the current build is months old so imagine they have managed to iron out more bugs then the current build so it wouldn't be a stretch to think they might just go release build with what they have been working on. Unless you think they have done no app development since they released beta 2. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Who knows, this app is developed in house as far as I can see from the trials and the app developer name. So the developer(s) must be doing something you’d think. As the iOS version was updated and the code appears to be universal from the Irish release I’d hope something has been worked on. But this is taking way too long for some reason. Why spend money on developing and not release it!
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

The other negative would be that if the trials manager was to be believed when I was told a couple of weeks that a survey from the developers was imminent....

There is more to do and more to check?  If there wasnt then the developers wouldn't have told the trials team that they were readying a survey (that we should have got 3 months ago by the way).

Its a bit of a stretch to go from "yes we have questions" to "oh no we dont and we are ready to release".

I just hope that the trial doesnt evaporate, and the app doesnt get released.  I will be emailing the trials team until i get a reply if it gets down to a week to go before expiry.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

@nst 

Just checked the app on testflight and it expires on 17 Aug @ 16:53, which is rather specific,what happens to the app then?!!

nst
Elite

@Duncaw67 

This is my first trial so ive no idea..

However, its fair to assume that when the app counts down like that its for a reason... so I assume it just disappears or stops working at that time.

Back to the (very) old app until they decide to release it.

As many of us have said... SO disappointed with communications from the trials team - we've no idea whats going on.

Obviously again we all assume that this has not been for nothing and they have a mostly working app that could easily be released (they must have made extra tweaks in the last 3 months surely too).

We do know that on release the intention was to support Apple's TV app functionality so thats a huge thing - maybe they've been testing that in the background and concentrating on that... who knows.

Lets hope it doesnt just disappear - I will certainly be asking the trials team whats happening next week.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

@nst 

This is my first trial as well, but I followed the last trial closely last year when I got Apple tv, and it seemed to be OK by the threads reported on here, then  gone without a trace,which can't happen to this one surely,as I have enjoyed using it for the football and some boxsets!!!!

When the Beta app’s validity date is reached, it will remain installed on your  tv but it just stops working. You can then delete it. So that just leaves the “old” app as the only option on tv. If a new Beta is then subsequently released, that will be a “new” app.

Same as what happened previously on this never ending Beta trial!

Incidentally, I was reading yesterday that NBC Peacock (which recently launched in the US) was developed out of NOW TV technology. NBC is, of course, part of Comcast Corp (as is Sky, “parent” of NOW TV). So maybe “the development team” has been a bit busy on a higher priority project?! 😮

Anyway kudos to you folks (“the class of 2020”) for keeping the faith!  Personally I no longer think this app is ever going to fly 😟  It looks increasingly to me that the past thoughts of the esteemed @Anonymous User will turn out to be correct...