cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Do let us now if and when you hear back from them.

I have had my last 2 emails ignored from the trials team.

It certainly is taking ages isn't it.  We've had beta 2 for a few weeks and no contact since it dropped.

To be fair, beta 2 works a lot better than beta 1 (as you would expect).  That being said Id like some feedback on whats happening with the trial as it goes very quiet.

Im still convinced that this will get released - and that it should be a universal app - and therefore it *should* remain functionally in step with its fellow iOS (same version - same code!) variant.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am part of the beta test but have decided to cancel my remaining passes when they run out in a month. It's simply not worth wasting more money in the hope they update the app to do what it should have done in 2015.

Disappointed yes but not surprised. What is frustrating, I am getting free sport passes to watch my team as I cannot attend in person - BT is 1080p at 50fps on easily accessible devices. The now TV pass despite me having the following devices:

• LG Smart TV
  • Apple TV 4K
  • Xbox One X
  • Google Chromecast

Cannot allow me a 50fps, viewing for sport which is essential and I would have paid them extra for. Never mind 1080p for movies.

Now TV team come out and tell us what's happening for real this time, a black and white - we are planning to put the features you want in the app or sorry people we can't deliver what is expected in 2015 never mind 2020, this wishy washy bs has gone on too long now.

nst
Elite

I must admit to feeling a bit deflated on the subject too.

Dont get me wrong, I certainly have faith that the app will be updated but the long drawn out trial period is frustrating especially with little to no engagement and feedback.

That being said, my position has changed a little recently.  I have always gone on about boost.  I still firmly believe in boost - and was desperate to get rid of my horrible NowTV box.  

I recently upgraded my TV to a new LG OLED - and was pleased to find that the in-built WebOS app does support boost (they can support a TV that came out a year ago, but cant support the appleTV box thats been out 4+ years) - and the picture quality is top notch.  Although i really want the AppleTV box to be my sole Set-top box... I find that pressing an extra button (and not having to switch inputs) to invoke the WebOS app is very little extra effort and I have now ditched my NowTV box - the WebOS app is good enough and everything that the AppleTV app is trying to be (though the killer feature will be Apple's TV app integration if they can get that sorted)

Annoyingly on a separate subject... recently would you believe the Netflix app on the AppleTV seems "broken" now - it does not output sound at 5.1 anymore - only 2.0 (though all the other apps on the AppleTV are fine and still outputting at 5.1).  Needless to say, getting this diagnosed and fixed by Netflix is next to impossible and im none the wiser why this isn't working.  Therefore I am falling back on the WebOS Netflix app too which also has phenomenal picture and sound quality.  

Given my wish to be 100% appleTV, its ironic that when one app is possibly on the verge of being fixed (with boost support hopefully) another one fails.

Lets hope the AppleTV platform and its associated developers pull their respective fingers out and make the platform great as it should be.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The reason it’s taking so long is that their development team are complete amateurs. That much should be clear by now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The LG TV only does 1080p not 50fps so for me it isn't worth considering with the sport as watching sport at 25fps isn't going to happen it is a blurry mess.

nst
Elite

Thats a bit harsh when none of us know the truth.

I would suggest that up to and including now, the AppleTV development "team" (could well be a solitary coder) have neglected the platform terribly.

The development of the new app is painfully slow, and the beta trial is also slow with little visible iterative development taking place.

However, the same cannot be said for the iOS and iPadOS platforms - they are well served and frequently updated.  We can only hope that common sense prevails and they realise that the TVOS platform is one and the same and a universal version of the app should be able to run on all 3 platforms - therefore going forward if they make this a universal app we should be well served for updates.

Also, as i have pointed out in the past, whatever development resource they have... its clear that its spread too thinly trying to cover too many devices and doing a disservice to many of them in the process.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Odd, I had an issue with Netflix years ago with the 3rd generation Apple TV not tracking viewing post an OS update. They acknowledged the bug and fixed it. Being worldwide now I imagine a lot of people are using the Apple TV to view and likely have your issue. I just use a sound bar and the Apple TV outputs multichannel PCM doesn’t it so it’s not that easy to see what’s going on.

Regarding the nowtv app, I still have no response to my last email. Is suspect no one is in charge of this at the moment. And let’s face it someone is making easy money for doing bugger all if they are working on the code.

The only thing that gives me confidence is it’s released in Ireland, but I imagine very buggy.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I have a sonos beam, and you can easily check the format of the signal being fed to it....

I noticed Netflix started to sound (and look) much worse recently and then checked to confirm its only a 2.0 signal coming from the AppleTV app.

Of course my fist assumption was that there was a bigger hardware issue at play with my appleTV, cabling, TV e-arc, or sonos - however after a lot of checking I was surprised to see that it was in fact ONLY the netflix app that was not working - so definitely a software problem with Netflix.

I tried to engage with them on the subject hoping that they would say "oh yes we are aware of an issue with the AppleTV netflix app" but no... of course... they had no idea and started down the road of silly suggestions....

Lets hope its not just me and more people notice there is a problem and report it.

Actually, I know this isn't the place for it... but any of you guys with AppleTV 4K and a netflix subscription... can you check to see if you are getting true 5.1 surround at the moment?  Would appreciate it.

Hooba
Scholar 3

Netflix working fine here (5.1) through AppleTV 4K.

nst
Elite

@Hooba 

Thank you.

Still not working for me.

Driving me nuts as to why a single app on the AppleTV is not outputting 5.1 but the rest is fine