cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
ReadyPlayer2
Scholar

Apologies for it being out of context but someone was asking about iOS 14.

I have iPadOS 14 installed and the NowTV app crashes on launch continually.

I'll try it on iOS 14 and tvOS 14 and report back.

Note this would be the regular App Store version as I'm not part of the NowTV beta.

nst
Elite

@ReadyPlayer2 

Im sure you understand this very clearly...

But to be clear to anyone reading your comment:

iOS14 is a DEVELOPER BETA right now.  a developer beta on version 1.  Only developers should have access to it and is and therefore @ReadyPlayer2 must be a registered developer to be using iOS14 right now.

It is clearly understood that many existing apps can and WILL crash and not work on early developer betas.  This is normal behaviour and is not at all something to be alarmed about or even surprised about.  It happens every year on the early beta that many apps are not compatible - this is why they have developer betas to allow the app developers to download the software, then make any tweaks to their apps to fix the crashes.

Even when it comes into public beta, you'll still find many such problems.

Rest assured that by the time the final version is released to all, there will be no issues.

So, that being said... anyone care to guess whats going to happen when trying the current aged AppleTV app on beta 1 of TVOS14? 🙂 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can confirm the current store version crashes on my phone running iOS 14. 

ReadyPlayer2
Scholar

Yes, apologies, I assumed all that was a given.  I am a registered Apple developer and this is Developer Beta 1 that I'm talking about.

Not surprisingly, the NowTV app also crashes on iOS 14, however it does work perfectly well on tvOS 14. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Why would Sky/Nowtv spend time updating the very old version to work with TvOS14! Surely this must push the need to get the one on trial compatible and released.

Heres hoping for the new release by September.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Well maybe that gives us hope it will all be done for TVOS 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable
However, all previous iOS releases have worked with the NowTV app from 5 plus years ago, maybe they’ll drop lucky again!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ReadyPlayer2 I’m also an app developer. I was just saving you the trouble of checking the iOS version as you said you’d try it later. 
It’s kind of a shame the current TvOS version works with tvOS 14 as an incompatibility would have forced them to release a new version of the app. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Would it? Previously they had to push an update to due expired certificates. They could just recompile with latest Xcode and it might fix the incompatibility.

Let’s hope as what appears to be the beta app being tested has actually be pushed out in Ireland months ago that we might see it soon.

The current beta build has no major issues that I recall, it’s certainly not prefect but better than the current store version.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User It would force them to release a new build, whether they just fix the problem in the old version, or release the new version is obviously up to them. I think it would be crazy to fix the old version, but this is moot as it seems to work anyway. 
Personally, I don’t yet see the new version as being much better than the old one. The addition of watch next, and continue watching features is offset by the much worse interface for scrubbing through episodes, and the loss of compatibility with the iOS remote app.