cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
So does this mean when the beta expires we will have an updated app or are they just feeding us a line like the past few years?? That’s my fear with all of this
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Well, they would say that wouldn't they.  We've been promised an update this year for a while.  

I had assumed that it would be by summertime at the latest.

@Anonymous User 

Thats how it works but Dr_Necessitator has more direct experience than me.

Yes, technically the current beta build has an expiry date, and once that date comes round the beta app ceases to work (I think).  The first beta in march almost counted down to the full 90 days but not quite.  The second beta is counting down too as we speak - there is little sight of movement or further comms or changes but thats not all that surprising.

I remain confident (well, as confident as I can be) that the app will finally be released to the masses this time around - just when Ive no idea.  We must hope it will be this year and sooner rather than later of course.  The process is taking a lot longer than I had anticipated.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Completely agree, I’ve said many times before on here that with the new layout in this beta I have used Nowtv a lot more than I would have and find the whole experience to be much better and easier to navigate and use. I like many other people on this forum use my Apple TV As my only box as I wanted to save money and couldn’t justify paying £140 per month for sky q with the packages and an etc box.

I’m in the process of having to wait to buy another 4K Apple TV but really don’t want to have to wait for the new app to be available on that one,

I however don’t mind waiting if we have updates and regular communication from the trials team, at least you have peace of mind with what’s happening.

We can only hope it happens soon and the features they promised come to the platform, it seems such a shame that a powerful one stop box like the Apple TV is left behind when it could be a game changer for them.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User  hear hear!

I think it will be worth the wait especially as they suggested a certain function will be available from launch just not on the beta.  This is what puts the AppleTV head and shoulders above the competition and if NowTV embrace that then it will be a great thing.

... I just hope common sense prevails and they also see including Boost compatibility as a no-brainer.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User  that sounds like the same copy and pasted response myself and others got from the executive team back in February. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Im not on the beta, just the old version.... Is there a way to refresh the app without closing it and going back in? Last night I watched the Everton match, then the Chelsea match and also the Muhammad Ali Doc and when I back out to the Schedules, whats currently playing is about 6 hours behind, it still says the Everton match 0 mins, but it does it even if i watch a half an hour show or whatever. Its no huge deal closing the app etc but just wondered.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky's development team must be the slowest in history. How old is the current ATV app at this point? At least 5 years? 

I've been in both betas of the new apps and I wouldn't exactly describe the pace of progress as rapid. 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Its actually even older.

The app that we are currently saddled with is actually a port of the (even) older app that was on the last models of appleTV.  I cant recall how old that actually is but it goes back to the first models of the AppleTV.

We were all assuming at the time that when the new model of AppleTV launched, with its shiny new app store and Siri remote, NowTV would be a re-engineered app for the new platform.  I remember the delay when the box was released and we had to wait a few weeks for the NowTV app... and then when it finally appeared we were dismayed to find it looking identical to the OLD app at the time.

Obviously Apple launched the new platform and hardware with great fanfare and the promise that new software would take advantage of all the new bells and whistles.

We assumed that the lazy port from the old app was just a stop gap until they finished the new version that was written for (what became) TVOS... but of course it never did.

This was almost 5 years ago.   Of course the Apple TV hardware hasn't changed with the exception of launching the 4K version of the box a year later.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm kind of surprised Apple hasn't launched a new box since the 4K one.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
There’s meant to be coming in September so the rumours say.