cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
johnyslats83
Mentor

A note of caution for anyone looking to hop on the tvOS 14 beta.  The NOW TV beta app fails to launch currently.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think Nowtv need to allow all users access the the beta program just like Apple. To be a Paying customer I should be able to choose the public release version or a public beta version especially us the normal version is years behind any other providers app and user experience!

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I must say I agree with you - though its a bit logistically difficult to do on the AppleTV as you all need an invitation code etc

From the way the trial has been run so far... I see no problem letting hundreds try it out rather than 30-40 or so - main reason being that they arent really engaging much with the trialists so what does it matter.

nst
Elite

@johnyslats83 

Thanks for the cautionary note - but iOS 14 is only just out for developers only - its not yet on public beta so most people cant access it yet.

Also they go to great pains to explain that you shouldn't access a beta on your "main" device as there will be many such problems in the early days.

Hopefully the developers who are currently using it are not doing so on a device that is important to them - and certainly not one where they would need to access NowTV as an example!

johnyslats83
Mentor

All valid points and nothing I haven’t heard before. Well aware of the risks and am happy to report that other streaming apps appear to be working.  A useful exercise nonetheless, devs have been notified so will no doubt aid in getting this fit for future release.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Hi

I completely agree with you re :PQ between now beta app and the roku stick+as I used the 7 day boost free trial to compare the PQ between the two and there was very little difference on my two Sony tv's quality wise, so if the now tv app gets boost the PQ should be even better as I think apple tv is ahead of the roku stick + in every aspect.

nst
Elite

@Duncaw67 

Seeing some of these comments is really interesting.

Just how bad is the PQ on some of these other devices to make the beta on AppleTV look superior?!

As I say, compare Boosted PQ on the NowTV 4K box... vs non boost on the AppleTV beta - no comparison - Boost on NowTV 4K is *significantly* better.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Hi @nst 

When comparing the PQ between my two devices,I have the router stick + wired with a non 4k Sony TV,and I have my Apple tv wired to an 4k Sony TV,so maybe the newer tv has a better upscale to upgrade the PQ as my good lady said the boost pass was a waste of money, as she could not notice any difference between the two of them?

nst
Elite

@Duncaw67 

OK, not a fair comparison if its on 2 different TVs - as you say it could be down to upscaling capabilities.

Mines the same TV, 2 boxes - easy to switch between the two and the PQ differences are huge.

Heres hoping boost support is forthcoming.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Hi @nst

I agree that the Now tv app should have all the bells and whistles which have been promised in the past beta trials,going by the threads which have been discussed here for the past 4 years.

I would gladly pay the extra for boost as you have stated it also has 5.1 sound and 50fps for sport, and the PQ should be at least 1080p in this day and age, so here's hoping that at the end of the trial it will have been worth the long wait for the updated app on Apple tv.