cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Recording?  whats the point in that - in the context of NowTV it makes no sense whatsoever.

NowTV is a streaming service and all its programmes are available 'on demand'.  When the watchlist and continue watching functions are working correctly.. this is every bit as good (if not better) than having it 'recorded' on your own PVR.

I find that it works as good as my old SKYQ box (for a fraction of the price).

Agree with the better TV guide - again its got no real function although would be handy to see further in the future say 7 days and be able to add forthcoming shows to your watchlist from there.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst 

Sorry maybe I was a bit unclear there I meant recording won't be happening. So now they have seem to have fully fleshed out the Now TV service imagine they will be concentrating on adding further devices to the full NowTV service. There is nothing further to add now. 

Even just a 24 hour tv guide would be nice. 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Completely agree.  Should be 7 days rather than 2 hours.

However, I dont share your optimism.  It would Be nice to achieve functional parity across all devices but its clear that NowTV, despite wanting to give the appearance otherwise, do NOT have the development resources that Netflix do.

Netflix manage to support a wide range of hardware and the user experience is pretty uniform.

I have said this before - NowTV should not try to support so many platforms where they clearly dont have the resources to give a uniform user experience across them ALL.  New features such as Boost and Red Button should be rolled out to the ENTIRE user base at the same time.  We, the paying customer, should not be involved in some kind of "device lottery" where we were coerced into investing in a device that was "supported" by NowTV only to find either straight away of a little down the line that the development resources are not really paying any attention to it and just concentrating on new features for a small subset of the devices.

In my opinion, they should be bold.  Either:

1.  Make it CRYSTAL clear on their supported devices page that only a small number of them support ALL the functions (some kind of easy to follow table would suffice)

2.  Be brave and DROP official support of those platforms they no longer are willing or able to maintain.

Sure, option 2 means they have a less impressive list of devices but surely customer experience is more important.  We all know in this thread how significantly different the current AppleTV app is to those available on other platforms.

Option 1 is a good idea, then a prospective new customer could make an informed decision as to what features were important to them (boost for example might not be) and then choose the device to purchase which best fits their needs.

Sadly, in most cases the NowTV own brand box is the best bet for keeping up to date - cheap enough just a shame that the interface and speed etc is just appalling.

nst
Elite

@schnapps @Anonymous User 

This perfectly illustrates the point I just made.

Whatever this function is, Im sure its of interest and use to some people 

However... its ONLY available on those 4 devices.  What about all the other users on all the other "supported" NowTV devices and, astonishingly for once, NOT the official NowTV box or stick.

So, for a long while, until at least "later this year" some users have more functionality than others yet pay the same.

p.s. just to be clear my point does not relate to old hardware - clearly there comes a point when it gets left behind as thats inevitable.... but theres a big difference between old devices and current ones - and all the current ones should offer the same user experience simultaneously.  If its not ready for ALL devices, then it should not be rolled out unless the delay between devices is minimal.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst @schnapps 

Oh I expect most who watch F1 will want to use F1 Race Control if they can it's something I miss having on NowTV. 

I also expect BT have pushed for Red button services to come to NowTV which is why the NowTV boxes and stick don't support it as they weren't ready for it. 

I forgot about Samsung your right it is odd that LG OS doesn't support 50FPS never quite got that one as I can't imagine it's the TV itself.

Oh I didn't see that about the Xbox One I do have an Xbox One so I might use that for watching NowTV if Boost launches for it by time the F1 season starts next month.

Saint1976
Elite 3

If it works how I expect it to work, it will be of use on Tuesday or Wednesday night football where several Championship matches are simulcast on the red button (for some of us it's the only way we'll ever get to see our teams live).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Netflix and Amazon stopped throttling. 

Disney + definitely still is.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Just noticed that Nowtv is the number one app on the TVOS App Store at the moment ahead of Netflix, probably because the football is starting again, but just a thought for the NowTv team, if it’s being downloaded make it better for this platform, surely that states a case that the Apple TV platform has a following and is worth while the investment to get this app spot on with the boost etc
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Agree, but tonights streaming of football has been poor, picture going fuzzy and never have a problem streaming as I only watch streamed content.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have to admit I haven’t had a problem with the picture where I am, but that’s not to say I won’t