cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

It was my understanding that the throttling was only temporary and they had announced a few weeks ago that it was over and we had the full quality streams back.

I am the same as you in that I was forced to buy a NowTV box as I was replacing my SkyQ subscription and was unwilling to go back to 720.  The box wasnt expensive and it works fine though I dislike it and hate having to switch between 2 boxes when the AppleTV should be the only box I need.  I was surprised how few platforms support boost - you'd have thought that they would make it immediately available on all current platforms that support 1080p to get people to pay them £3 per month for the privilege.

From a testing perspective, I think you are too late as the beta has been going on for 3 months and counting.  I have the same background as you in IT testing / QA but you would be disappointed as we are not being engaged as anything more than blunt instruments to bash away and see what doesnt work.

Its frustrating as we can raise faults but we are never informed whats happening with that fault and if they do release a new version of the Beta we are not told specifically whats been fixed so we have no idea what to re-test.  You cant approach it with any professional methodology sadly.

It is what it is.  I just hope they release it soon and hope against hope they support Boost - as it they dont after all this waiting and patience I will simply not be able to use the new app until they do.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think only certain countries in Europe are having the bandwidth restrictions lifted at the moment. They're still very much in effect in the UK. If you watch Netflix via an app on your TV, pressing the 'i' button usually displays the stream information, including bit rate. Does on my Panasonic TV for example.

I too binned Sky Q last month, having been a subscriber since launch. Just didn't seem like value for money anymore. Now TV's entertainment pack certainly does, although, I'm only watching one show from the content available at the minute.
The Now TV stick works fine, when you can get it to turn on and the remote actually responds. It's probably because where I have mine sited but, that's not really any excuse given the technology it uses for the remote. Don't get me wrong, the ATV has it's foibles too but, like you, I don't want a two box solution when one should suffice.

And yes I agree, the general lack of support for Boost is poor and annoying as no device I had did support it.

I'm not surprised this beta isn't being handled as it should be. I can count on 1 hand how many projects/ programmes I've been involved with in the last 15 years that were. The painful part is that if they'd involved people that knew what they were doing, the updated app would have been released in months, not years, if it ever does get released at all. It must be costing them a fortune.

Paul

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting to see Sky Sports Red Button is being rolled out on certain devices as well. NowTV really have been expanding there service this year. 

nst
Elite

I do wish that rather than 'expanding their service' for some... they would put more effort into achieving functional parity on all the devices they say they support.

Theres an unforgivable situation been allowed to develop where, depending on the device you choose to use, you get a differing level of service and function - all for the same cost of course.

The only paid extra is boost - and frankly that should have been simultaneously launched on all platforms that are capable of 1080p (and thats pretty much all of then to be fair) but instead it remains an optional extra only for the portion of the paying user base who by some happy accident are using NowTV on one of the few devices that they have decided they can be bothered to allow boost on.

That said, the rest of the functionality i.e. watchlists and continue watching are still not available across all devices in the same way.  This is ridiculous frankly.

So, lets not expand our service before there can get the basics right for everyone.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't think it's a full fat red button service 😠.

Where reading this information from the NowTV article (relevant information below) it is for bonus streams and my guess until i have seen it first hand in action, it may be selective additional sports streams to watch (hope i am wrong).

If you've got a Sky Sports Month Pass and one of the devices listed below, you can access Bonus Streams for selected sports events, including additional EFL matches and F1 Race Control.

When a Bonus Stream is available, you'll find the option at the bottom of your NOW TV app homepage.

Keep in mindYou can't watch Bonus Streams with a Sky Sports Day, Week or Mobile Month Pass.

Bonus Streams will be coming to the NOW TV Smart Stick and Boxes (except the white NOW TV Box) later this year.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Perhaps not full fat red button but it's certainly an expansion on what we were getting before I would certainly like to use F1 Race Control next month when the season resumes. Plus now that even bonus streams are in could be expanded upon 50 FPS and Bonus Streams are a very good addition to Now TV Sports in my opinion. Funny enough it's only Youview and PS4 users who can get both.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Selective Samsung Smart TV's with the native NowTV App also has HD Boost at 50fps plus Bonus Streams as well.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @nst 

Looking at this screen shot below, the Xbox One will be the next device to rollout with HD Boost support, where it says "Coming Soon".

Screenshot_2020-05-31-15-33-13.png

nst
Elite

@schnapps 

Of course..... but bear in mind that Boost launched as an add on in November 2019.

Thats, what, almost 8 months ago and yet many of the other "supported devices" still haven't had it included.

Back on topic of this particular thread, its sad to see AppleTV mentioned in there of course however we may, or may not, get it included in the forthcoming update of the app.

I really hope they dont leave it out.  Theres no way the technically highly capable HD/4K models of the AppleTV are not able to cope with a measly 1080p stream and 5.1 stereo sound.

Frankly its unforgivable when they currently 'have the bonnet open' so to speak not to take the opportunity to add the AppleTV to the small and exclusive list of devices that support the full NowTV feature set.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst 

I completely agree with you it would be very unfortunate if Apple TV was left out when they are clearly working on it. Hopefully now that NowTV have finally fleshed out the service. I for one can't think of anything else apart from recording which won't happen that NowTV is missing apart from maybe a longer tv guide but that will be a overall update not limited to certain devices.