cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755

@nst  unfortunately this tv beta trial has largely gone pretty much the same way as the previous tv beta trials (apart from replies to initial feedbacks), must say I was hoping for better engagement and more iterative development this time (maybe covid is to blame? Who knows!), alas I remain unsure of the future for this app

nst
Elite

@dr_necessitor 

This is what bothers me...

Ive heard stories about the last trial expiring then disappearing.

I, for one, will not let that lie if it happens, as ill be engaging with the trials manager to find out what the situation is.  The trials manager seems very responsive and easy to deal with - however I do wish they were more proactive that reactive.

Regardless of the reasons (and yes, Covid is for sure a good one!) we haven't had any iterative updates yet and no emails to explain whats happening or why or how long we need to remain engaged for.

My problem, if i were them, is that they took the trouble to recruit 40 testers.. but unless you "nurture" those resources (for want of a better word!) then some will get bored and just trail off.  I would imagine that I am one of the few that remain and continue to engage and want to test and re-test the app until it is fit for release.

Ill give it another week and then on the final days before expiry email the trials manger again to ask whats happening and what we are expected to do next.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m disappointed with the lack of response/progress, but I still have some hope that there could be a good reason for it. I’d like to think they’re taken the survey results on board and decided the app needs a major rework rather than just bug fixes. I’d like to see (and indeed I requested) some very big changes  that would undoubtedly take a few weeks. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
And that isn’t going to happen!

The current format is their brand so why they spend time and money changing it for a handful of beta testers.

If the current beta app didn’t have bugs it would be OK. Which is better than the rubbish released app.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User @A lot of my issues have nothing to do with their brand! If feedback from beta testers is that the app needs support for boost, TV app integration, iOS remote compatibility etc, then it’s entirely possible that might consider reworking the app to accommodate some of these requests. They wouldn’t do it for the beta testers, but they might consider doing it if they believe that feedback reflects wider public opinion. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Maybe, but from the history of Apple TV app and it’s development I don’t get a good feeling. I believe the release notes covered one of your points partially as marked for a future beta update, that hasn’t happened!

As for boost I’ve said before unless Sky is using their own codec that is only targeting a different stream, so hardly something that would take long to add, same for 5.1.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User  with the greatest of respect "some very big changes" you requested will be totally ignored.

We arent here as beta testers to throw out or redesign the UI - just to check that it functions correctly.

Also, the UI is standardised across all the platforms as far as possible and so it is not at all feasible that they will completely redesign the experience for a single platform (and in doing so make it superior to their own-brand NowTV hardware!).  If you can, take at look at the current NowTV stick/box app - THAT is what we are getting with the odd tweak here and there i imagine.

I suspect the fundamental changes are to include things like Boost which I know was very loudly and universally criticised by the testers for being omitted.  However, I wouldn't have though that its inclusion would have been something very straightforward to add as the beta progressed.

Anyway here's hoping we get a new build soon and its addressed some of the bugs, and maybe added boost.

Personally, the current beta 1 is fine - it needs a lot of polish sure, but its beta 1.  If that made it to live with the bugs fixed and boost added then id be quite happy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I agree, beta testers are there to test functions as expected and report any bugs. Change / feature requests aren’t out of the question, but I bear in mind the powers that be decided the app has the features and look that it does, it’s the specification.

Saying that indicating interest for boost, 5.1 and TV app integration should be noted but I would expect would be out of spec and considered for a future (Hmmm) release. I also forgot top row integration, but only Netflix and Infuse seem to do that, aside from Apple. Apple should have made mandatory or just drop in from new tvOS as it’s pointless if not everyone supports.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
It would be handy to have it work in the Apple TV app, as I had something in the up next list for ages waiting for it to become available to rent or stream and later found out it was on Now TV which was annoying having to search each app to find if it’s on.

We can only hope it makes it on there
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User  you are talking about full TV app integration, and sadly that doesnt seem to be on the cards for the first release.  That doesn't mean to say it will never make it, but dont hold your breath.

Perhaps, they might compromise by integrating their content with the Siri search function... just as Netflix does.. so its not TV app integration as such (though you can add shows to the TV app) - it doesnt keep track of watch progress or up next functionality but each still works.

I agree-  full TV app integration is something I really want them to do - its one of the huge strengths of the AppleTV platform and a lot of other streamers manage to do it - its just really Netflix that wont.