cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
It would be a nice thought that Apple has approached them with some new feature to be implemented in the new app for a new Apple TV. But I think this would be a dream from their past history.
nst
Elite

highly unlikely to be honest.

Any new Apple TV hardware will likely be only processor related upgrades and even then the current processor is more than capable of the 4K streaming it does now... so the processor would only be of interest perhaps to apple arcade and the gaming platform (which doesnt interest me).

The TVOS platform would have to continue to function across all devices (both prospective new ones and the existing 2 models) so there cant be a reason why a new box would cause problems AND of course Apple are notoriously secretive and do not share their upcoming hardware with many companies outside themselves only ones deemed to be developing critical and high profile apps for it and NowTV doesnt come under that umbrella.

There are  a few things that dont ring true to me at the moment.  Im hoping for some kind of announcement as the current version is not far off expiring.  

Yes, they say there are a few things to sort but this has been many weeks now and you'd have thought a beta 2 would be released with some (not all) bugs addressed.

Also, still fascinated with how there is a fully working version out there in Ireland and Italy - yet the beta is so buggy.... I just dont understand why our version isn't basically the same as the Irish one.

Anyway all we can do is be patient.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

By all accounts they wont be incorporating platform standard functionality from a few years ago (TV app integration) let alone something brand new that has yet to see the light of day (whatever that could be).

At this stage id settle for a functioning app, with boost support, and a working watch list and up-next.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst

When I looked into it further myself the updated app is only released in Ireland, not Italy as someone once said (unless it was pulled). 

Also who says this isn’t the same app as the beta, it looks identical from their screenshots plus I downloaded but was unable to fully test as didn’t work with a U.K. NowTV account. 

The version / change log of the Irish iOS/tvOS universal app is the same as the U.K. iOS only one. 

Imagine the Irish audience is small, they could well be unknowing beta testing. 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Had a response back from trial manger (seems like a nice chap)

a few issues on latest build with Apple should be out soon

P

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User That sounds promising. Hope it’s a good update 👍🏻

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hmmm, had similar response weeks, if not months ago. Will believe when happens.
nst
Elite

To keep this realistic, this is a response to a member of the beta trial group.

I dont see anything to be gained by not being honest to them so therefore we can take it as read that there will be an update soon.

I still think that everyone should be in the loop and being kept up to date en masse so we all know what’s happening and what to expect next.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
As I said I’ve heard this personally before and I’m on the beta test. So we’ll see.
nst
Elite

well, we have approx only 2 weeks to go until the current, and only, beta expires.

Im assuming that a new version is forthcoming, and it will, or must, appear before the deadline.  Of course, I might be wrong and I assume if it doesn't meet the deadline then our current beta just  expires.

Im disappointed at the lack of communication - seems if you ask you get some kind of delaying story but I think it would have been a better idea to mail shot all the participants and let them know where things are at and whats going on.

I am also surprised at the lack of changes and updates thus far.  In my experience Beta 1 is obviously the buggiest build and gets updated quick and fast, then in later  builds the bugs disappear and updates are less frequent until a release candidate is arrived upon. 

Other posters have mentioned things like 'going in a different direction' which is a bit hard to understand... and also that the delay is with Apples approval (of a beta build?).

Anyway, we wait and see I suppose.