cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I really see implementing boost as a non issue, it’s a just video stream which not surprisingly the Apple TV supports natively. Whereas the rest is layout and Functionality, therefore why rush to stick in beta 1.
nst
Elite

I respectfully disagree about the boost - though i know that you aren't necessarily looking to have it or use it and i understand that.   Boost is indeed a paid-for extra that many customers have no interest in at all.

And yes you are right in a few things.  Beta one does not have to have it.... and functionality and usability is far, far more important than picture quality at this stage.

... though as i say i just hope that it will be included before launch.  The more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems to launch a brand new and long anticipated version of what is a flagship UK based streaming platform's app and for it to only support 720p and stereo sound when all the other apps and streaming companies are already on 4K.. and the app has 1080p versions available on other 3rd party platforms already.

Im being nice... I dont expect or demand NowTV to support 4K - i think we will be waiting a long time for that one if ever... but 1080p and 5.1 are just essential otherwise the brand new app on the 3 year old Apple hardware will look completely embarrassing to be honest.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I remember when the Apple TV 4 launched the NowTV app was a month late to be released, despite being in promo material. Should have realised then where this was going...

I note the old Apple TV 3 had 720p catchup, believe it was the only device that did at the time, at least outside Roku. I was under the impression Apple mandated at least 720p - but I could be wrong.
nst
Elite

I remember that too.

In fact, back then, its was an embarrassment.

The newfangled AppleTV 4th Gen was announced with much fanfare by Apple as per normal.  In the USA they had a number of streaming services promised with new (what was to become TVOS) re-written apps - these apps took advantage of the new remote etc.

In the UK, we had far fewer streaming services at the time, and we were promised a much smaller launch catalogue of new Apps - I seem to recall iPlayer was one of them and NowTV was another.

It was most peculiar that a few weeks later... the new AppleTV was available in the shops.  I went and bought mine straight away.. plugged it in... and searched the new and very very empty UK app store for content.  I found iPlayer but no sign of the new promised NowTV app.

As you rightly say, we had a further wait of about 4 weeks after launch to finally get "a" version of the app - but as we all noted at the time it was IDENTICAL to the existing previous gen boxes app - just a straight port with absolutely no new functionality or features to take advantage of the new hardware as we were all lead to believe.  This port took no development effort at all.

I think most of us at the time thought "oh, they must have had problems so quickly pushed out this port of the old app to keep us quiet until they get the actual version out"..... oh how wrong we were and the rest, as they say, is history!

Stuck with a port of a previous gen box's app for 4.5 years and counting.  In fact, if you want to be precise, the version of the app that we currently have on the AppleTV platform significantly pre-dates the current 4 yr old HD box and 3 yr old 4K box by a number of years as its the one that was running on the gen 3 and gen 2 boxes so i shudder to think just how old this app actually is.

Lets hope its finally shuffling off into retirement soon.

It wont be missed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It must be said that the beta app is not the bug infested disaster that some may imply on here. 

I’d also urge patience during the pandemic in regard to the speed of new builds being released. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Well I beg to differ, believe I’ve reported at least 10 bugs. From cosmetic, to functionality and also reproducible crashes.

But I am using daily so it’s no worse for actually watching content than the current app.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I disagree. Overall, I’d say it’s actually worse than the existing store version in quite a few ways. The only thing it does better is so buggy as to not be much better. I hope for significant improvements in the next version. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I haven't been here in a long time. The fact that boost still isn't available on all devices is honestly unbelievable. I waited for years and years, it didn't even have a name back then. Then I heard it was boost, and still nothing a year or so after that. I'm glad I stopped paying years ago, I even get nowtv for free via phone contract, but I still refuse to watch it in 720p. Even YouTube lately have dropped the HD sign from 720p content as it's no longer viewed as high definition. 

ReadyPlayer2
Scholar

I'm a fully paid up iOS/TVOS developer and I'd gladly develop a new front end for this shocking excuse of an app. 😊

No charge either. 👍🏼

Anonymous User
Not applicable
That would be awesome