cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Of course, and I would further add that in my opinion I wouldn't touch a TV built in app with a bargepole.

The reason I say that is that taking NowTV as an example, they have already stretched themselves far too thinly and when they purport to support TV X,Y,Z, Consoles, Set Top Boxes and Streaming sticks... this is all very well but not all those platforms and all those apps receive the same amount of love.

What we have at the moment is a very much 2-tier platform.... the NowTV box/stick (including Roku)... and then 'everyone else'.  The NowTV platform is unsurprisingly the most up to date (and I include mobile apps in that too) - but the rest are just a mess.  The worst example is the current AppleTV app but you dont have to look far in this forum to get an handle on the feeling about that and the facts its 4 years old.  Boost support across carious devices is shockingly patchy.  Very few can have it.

So, given NowTV's track record... i wouldn't rely on a TV's app at all - as it might well  be supported to a fashion now.. but especially how TVs change you can easily see an app, or a whole TV's infrastructure falling into disrepair.  There have been many examples of Netflix dropping support for older TVs and discontinuing the app on certain devices over the years.

Therefore I always recommend a set top box.  Not only is it better supported (hopefully) but also its easily replaced and upgraded independent of the TV.  You'd hope the TV outlasts your set top box so this makes far more sense.

At the moment, if you want the "One Box to Rule Them All" approach.... you only really have Roku, and AppleTV (once they get the app updated!)

The reason I say this is that only in Roku, and AppleTV can you truly get all the main players under one roof:

Apple+, Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, NowTV, IPlayer/All4/ITV/My5/UKTV Play.

All the other platforms have compromises.... for example the Amazon Fire Stick has it all apart from NowTV.  The NowTV box has it all, apart from Amazon Prime.... etc etc.  compromise compromise.

Personally AppleTV is head and shoulders above the rest and i WANT IT to be my ONLY set top box... its so nearly there....so nearly... I just need the updated NowTV app THAT SUPPORTS BOOST. Then I can truly have a one-box solution and ditch the NowTV box that I only have whilst im waiting for the new AppleTV app (boost included i hope).

Hooba
Scholar 3

Given NowTV's track record .... I wouldn't expect the current BETA to be updated until about a week after it expires. And the 'update' to be the same build we've already got.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@JulesWinnfield

Just be aware, there is a new version of the Apple TV with a faster processor (A12X) about to be released imminently. Certainly this month I would think.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Do you think it will be this month and not later in the year then?
nst
Elite

sadly this has no bearing on the NowTV app.  New AppleTV hardware or not.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I never said it did. I was just giving a heads up to the person who has just bought what will soon be the old model.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The problem is, every thing gets upgraded and replaced almost annually. Not sure there will be a lot of difference. I do not notice much difference between my 2 difference models of apple tv's. I have had every generation so far. While cloud storage has replaced the need for TB HDD's, most people do not have 4kTV in every room of the house. 

Our problem is with NowTV not living up to the premium price the subscription costs compared to the substandard AppleTV app. If I relied sorely on the AppleTV app and not the inbuilt one on my 4kTV, I would not be using NowTV.

nst
Elite

The AppleTV box is a favourite of mine.  I have a lot of Apple kit and am one of those who are more likely to upgrade 'just because' theres a newer shinier model.

However that said, I am intrigued with what a new AppleTV box can bring.  Yes, the current hardware, even the 4K model is a few years old now without any updates - but as someone who does not use it as a games console and play games on it... I just use it for streaming services - I don't see what an upgraded chip will do for the TV watching experience.

I still find my 4K appleTV to be lightning fast and the best streaming box experience I have encountered.  When I have to go back to the NowTV box to watch NowTV content in 1080p and 5.1 with the boost add-on.. I pull my hair out each and every time as its so slow, and clunky... and this is a Current Gen piece of hardware much newer than the several year old 4K AppleTV box I have.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm hoping for AV1 codec support, in particular for Youtube 4K.