cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nst when did you receive the email. Not got it. 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

around 3pm 22/4.

Its not a personal individual email so you should have been included if you are on the trial.  Might be worth checking your junk box.... if not just email the trials manager to let him know you were missed out.

Obvious thing to mention but you'll only get this email is you are on the AppleTV app trial... and not any other trial thats going on at the moment i.e. the Black NowTV box.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User did you get your email sorted?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The first section of the survey was indeed an odd format. Let’s hope a new beta build is pushed soon. 

Just reported a 100% reproducible application crash / hang, this affects both my Apple TV’s I have installed on. 

Whilst I’d prefer a native Apple TV type layout I suppose it’s better than the Amazon app, just.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No reply back nst sent email on Thursday. 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User agreed.

I think its too much to expect a ground up re-design based around best practises of existing AppleTV Apps.

The NowTV app will, on purpose, closely resemble the way it works on other platforms.... for better or worse.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can understand branding, Amazon’s app is hideous but it’s their brand across their own Fire devices too.   No sale, lol!

Although bizarrely some of the NowTV design choices are different to the Roku, which isn’t prefect but it better in some respects. 

Anyway *if* continue watching and viewed episodes are shown correctly it will do the job I require. And not look too bad as well, even if it doesn’t blend in with the OS layout. 

nst
Elite

Agreed.

Actually my requirements from the new app are very simple.

1.  A functioning Watchlist and Continue Watching facility.

2.  Boost support.

Anything else is largely superfluous.  Although its nice to have a pretty app, I watch NowTV for the content and not the menu system - after all you spend about 1% of your time in menus and the rest actually watching stuff.

p.s. Anything *less* than the above will make the app unusable for me.  As a boost subscriber and someone who can certainly notice the increase in picture and sound quality it is essential.  If we dont get boost I have no choice but to stick with the NowTV box (grudgingly, as I HATE it).  The AppleTV app would only be useful as a convenient place to check up on my watchlist but not to actually watch the shows.... though I have the iOS app on my iPhone and iPad that I use for that now anyway.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately, at least in the current beta version, the standard Sky interface means the app is significantly worse that even the old version in a couple of important ways. For me it's now a worse user experience than even the Amazon app. I'm not even talking about browsing, but they've made some strange decisions regarding the FF/REW controls that make it hard to use with the Apple TV remote. Also you can't currently use the remote built into the iPhone. I really hope they change this design!

nst
Elite

completely agree.

although AppleTV apps can vary in design, video playback is universally done the same, i.e. press play/pause then scrub across the pad.  The BEST apps (most of them) give you a really helpful thumbnail as you scrub so you know where to stop... the worst ones dont (iPlayer im looking at you there!).

However, they all function like that.

Yes, NowTV need to support that as the current idea is pretty terrible.  Im sure that we should be feeding that back to them and seeing improvements.

On the Beta trial... the deadline for the survey is Wednesday so hopefully responses can be collated, and the next build released soon so we can see some progress.