cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think it’s also worth noting that whilst Netflix doesn’t use the Up Next feature and doesn’t have me it’s own carousel in the Apple TV app, it’s content is still indexed by the TV app and you can still see a show is available on Netflix and launch it from the TV app. 

I hope NowTV at the very least include this functionality, though of course full integration would be preferable. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst 

Dont blame the AppleTV TV app when they make it very easy to have individual accounts and watchlists etc... 

If you, or your kids, dont use it correctly then its not really a deficiency of the app!

I’d disagree as I don’t believe the current tvOS user account feature is fit for purpose, the only time I’d normally call up the user switcher menu is when putting to sleep. At no other time is it indicated who is actually logged in so to speak.

Quite the opposite as the top shelf in Netflix for example could lead you to believe someone totally different is logged in. 

Yes in a single user environment it’s fit for purpose, in a multi user it’s not.  When the kids launch Netflix it asks who’s watching, when they use anything else it doesn’t. 

Hardly multi user / family friendly. 

I though the TV app was a great idea until kids stuff started appearing in it, or I found it was switched to a different user. Then there is the fact Netflix and NowTV don’t use it. 

Apple need to make compulsory for streaming apps to use and make user accounts much clearer who it using.  There are rumours of screen time and kids mode on the next tvOS release, so my issues would need to be resolved for that to work. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User, @nst is right IMHO. It works perfectly for adults, so it's perfectly good for a multi-user situation. I don't need to be told who's account is selected - I can see immediately if the watchlist is mine, or my wife's!

I'm not disagreeing that it doesn't/can't work for you, but you're saying that the problem is a more general one than it actually is in reality. I'm pretty sure if your name were at the top of the screen in huge letters, the kids would still manage to find Fireman Sam. Apple can't fix that!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes they can, my PS4 asks who’s using when you pick up a controller. Yes it’s a single remote but you could still manage something similar I think easily.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User so your kids are happy to select a user account when prompted, but can't be trained to switch accounts without a prompt. Tricky one, I admit. 

I have to say it never fails to annoy me when my PS4 asks me who's using it. IT'S ME. I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO EVER USES IT 😄

You can't make any system perfect.

Netflix is the same on my Phone! I'm the only one who uses my phone! They don't do this in their Apple TV app, which is far more like to get used by more people!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think you miss the point, why would you think to select an account?  I don’t think to, so why would my 6 year old?

Everything looks the same, regardless of who’s signed in. With the exception of TV and Music there is no difference to make you think ah, this isn’t my account!

Position 1 in the top shelf is Netflix, that’s the only visible indication of user, but not the Apple TV user. 

Currently 

1.  Wake Apple TV

Optional steps: -

2. Hold the TV icon on the remote

(not even labelled for switching users)

3. View current user. 
4. Select correct user.  

Option 1

1.  Wake Apple TV

2. Who’s watching prompt 

3. Select correct user 

So 1 step lost, plus you’ve been promoted to select the correct user. 

Add visibly displaying who’s logged in somewhere on the home screen for mid session user changes during the day. Maybe like my MacBook Pro that shows the logged in user in the corner. 

My opinion is moot in a single user environment. I note when tvOS 13 launched switching users locked out Apple Arcade, despite all family accounts having it shared, indicates it wasn’t thought through. This may be fixed now, don’t subscribe to Arcade to test, did get a bug report query from Apple asking if fixed mind. 

Anyway we digress from the NowTV app topic at hand, I await a beta update addressing some of the many issues I’ve raised, some are key functionality. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User with respect, I think it’s you who’s missing the point. Apart from the TV app, and Music, there is no difference between user accounts. As soon as you enter either of those apps, it’s immediately apparent who’s account is selected because you see their content. Your solution only adds a frustrating extra step for adults. 
Your frustration with your kids is certainly no reason why the Now TV app shouldn’t include TV app integration, so this conversation is moot as you say. Let’s get back on topic 👍🏻
I wonder when we’ll get an update for the beta version?

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User i certainly cant tell you that you are right, or wrong.

If something doesnt work for you then it doesnt.

I would reiterate that apple have made accounts and account switching for just this purpose and it certainly should work OK.

Granted, I myself live alone and dont have kids to worry about.... however I do wonder whether the AppleTV itself is supposed to be used by one as young as 6.

I do not support having extra steps and clicks added to solve a problem I dont have, and also dont want 10ft tall lettering on the screen telling me what user account is logged in cos I only have the one... but also as someone else has said its pretty clear pretty quickly who is logged in due to the content displayed (if used correctly!)

Im NOT criticising your 6 year old using it... dont get me wrong... but a premium bit of kit like an appleTV - especially that glass trackpad remote is not really designed for a real youngster to pick up and use I would imagine.  Perhaps a little older could be let loose on it but they would clearly understand that they have their own account that they must switch to in order to use it.

Anyway, 1st world problems as they say 🙂 

nst
Elite

As a separate issue... Ive just had a new Boost experience.

I wanted to watch 'Running Wild with Bear Grills' bu couldn't as they didnt have National Geographic as part of the Entertainment Pass a couple of months back.

However... today, by accident I found that they have now included NatGeo in the Entertainment Pass channels - and all the Bear Grills series is available.

I started watching on my NowTV box as I noticed that unlike a lot of content on Fox and SyFy (ive moaned about this before) this series IS in "HD" i.e. 1080p and Dolby 5.1.

I have to say, the picture quality is stunning.  It is SO much better than some other things....

If anyone is on the fence with Boost.. (I know it costs more money yes).... or if anyone thinks that Boost is not important and therefore they dont care if its included on the AppleTV app... I would encourage you to do the following:

If you have access to, or are using a current Boost capable device (whilst patiently waiting for the new AppleTV app of course).... then just take out the free 1 weeks boost trial - remembering to cancel it of course in a weeks time... and then go and watch episode 1 of Bear Grills on National Geographic.  The picture is stunning. the 5.1 surround sound is immersive and atmospheric... and then see if you still think that its acceptable to launch an updated appleTV app without Boost support!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Boost mode does indeed look better than the old 720p feed, but it's still a long, LONG way behind Netflix, Amazon, ATV+ and Disney+. Those four are all 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos and bitrates between 20mbit and 40mbit. Boost mode on Now TV is 7mbit (vs 4mbit for the 720p feed)

Still, when a service is literally a decade behind the competition any improvement is welcome.

I'd also like to see the 25fps conversion gone. Just show it in its native frame rate, be that 24fps or 30fps. The conversion creates horrible skipping in the audio and uneven frame pacing. It's no doubt a legacy of the old PAL broadcasting side of the company, and it needs to go away.