cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

Unfortunately young users don't get the message.

There is only so many times you see fireman Sam on your up next before you just give up on the idea.

Highlighted
Scholar

@rdray1234 Just hide the remote from the kids 😉

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar 3

I second the TV app is unless as it stands in a multi user setup, users are not forced to identify themselves and it isn’t clear who’s logged in. So mine shows all kids stuff!

And like Netflix they want eyes on their own content, so doubt TV app integration ever.
Highlighted
Scholar 3

Assume you don’t have kids!?

Mine would not even think to switch ID, it might be easy but nothing actually shows you who’s logged it.
Highlighted
Scholar 3

The Apple TV remote hides itself!
Highlighted
Scholar

No kids here. And I'm more than happy to keep it that way. Wouldn't want to ruin my TV App experience 😉

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Expert

well I second, and third everyone else.

Dont blame the AppleTV TV app when they make it very easy to have individual accounts and watchlists etc... 

If you, or your kids, dont use it correctly then its not really a deficiency of the app!

Anyway, it and its functionality are a godsend when ditching the PVR (though as I say it doesn't work 100% of the time more like 90%).

Also, whoever made the point about not going into the app itself.. thats not really true.  All the the TV app does is present a handy unified up next list - when selecting the programme you are taken straight to the app itself anyway.  Also there would be no avoiding, or needing to avoid using the NowTV app to 'discover new content' so I dont see this as an argument for not wanting to support it.  Ive never understood why Netflix had chosen to shun the TV app when it cant harm them one bit.. in fact it would help them when someone was watching something and was reminded a new episode was available instead of forgetting.  It just directs people to the Native app anyway so how is this a bad thing?

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

I think it’s also worth noting that whilst Netflix doesn’t use the Up Next feature and doesn’t have me it’s own carousel in the Apple TV app, it’s content is still indexed by the TV app and you can still see a show is available on Netflix and launch it from the TV app. 

I hope NowTV at the very least include this functionality, though of course full integration would be preferable. 

Highlighted
Scholar 3

@nst 

Dont blame the AppleTV TV app when they make it very easy to have individual accounts and watchlists etc... 

If you, or your kids, dont use it correctly then its not really a deficiency of the app!

I’d disagree as I don’t believe the current tvOS user account feature is fit for purpose, the only time I’d normally call up the user switcher menu is when putting to sleep. At no other time is it indicated who is actually logged in so to speak.

Quite the opposite as the top shelf in Netflix for example could lead you to believe someone totally different is logged in. 

Yes in a single user environment it’s fit for purpose, in a multi user it’s not.  When the kids launch Netflix it asks who’s watching, when they use anything else it doesn’t. 

Hardly multi user / family friendly. 

I though the TV app was a great idea until kids stuff started appearing in it, or I found it was switched to a different user. Then there is the fact Netflix and NowTV don’t use it. 

Apple need to make compulsory for streaming apps to use and make user accounts much clearer who it using.  There are rumours of screen time and kids mode on the next tvOS release, so my issues would need to be resolved for that to work. 

Highlighted
Scholar

@MrZippy@nst is right IMHO. It works perfectly for adults, so it's perfectly good for a multi-user situation. I don't need to be told who's account is selected - I can see immediately if the watchlist is mine, or my wife's!

I'm not disagreeing that it doesn't/can't work for you, but you're saying that the problem is a more general one than it actually is in reality. I'm pretty sure if your name were at the top of the screen in huge letters, the kids would still manage to find Fireman Sam. Apple can't fix that!

0 Thanks