cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I see why you’d want ‘boost’, although it’s a bit of a con to have to pay extra for what is pretty much the minimum standard resolution on other services. 

But what I do always think when watching NowTV is how much better the picture quality is compared to Netflix, which is in theory 1080p vs 720p.  This is all using the Apple TV with catchup, live TV is appalling. 

Now some of this may be a better bitrate on NowTV but the resolution doesn’t look poor. This is on a 49” TV, sitting fairly close. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I have to agree. The quality is fine for me. Boost is a nice to have feature, not essential. All I really want from the update (and the only reason I found this community) is a working watch list and continue watching feature. I'd rather have TV app integration than boost if I had to vote for a stretch goal!

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

In my humble opinion I think they will wait till all feedback is collated and any bugs ironed out, before they integrate the boost option onto the Now tv app on Apple tv, as per last statement my tv does a good job up scaling the quality of the picture and I think hopefully that boost would enhance it, especially 5.1 sound.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Duncaw67 As a software developer myself, that would be a crazy way to work. I want my beta testers to have access to all of the features of my code, otherwise it's not all being tested!

Duncaw67
Scholar 3
Hi Braindome
I appreciate you reply,but I just want the app to be as good as the app on
my Roku 4k stick in the upstairs bedroom.

That's why I signed up for the beta test as the 1.0 app on apple tv was
outdated for 2020.
Kind regards
Duncaw67
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough for the beta trials. I can live with bugs but not the ability to show up next etc.

Why don't you believe it ready for release @Anonymous User ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well up next doesn’t work correctly for a start, so I think everyone would agree that would need to be fixed. 

That is just one of several bugs, that I shouldn’t be discussing here. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous User, I just hope they get it sorted ASAP.

nst
Elite

Interesting you say this, however I can assure you that the 'boost' picture quality is significantly better than standard.  Its not a case of 'emperors new clothes' at all.

Let me say this... Im not giving anything away that I shouldn't.. but In testing the AppleTV app I was binge watching a series on sky1.... I managed 4 episodes before I gave up on what looked to me like a very mushy picture (from what im used to).... so I switched back to the NowTV Box with 1080p working and the difference was like night and day.

I do have a good OLED 4K TV, and it upscales very well.... but even here the 'standard' NowTV definition is appalling by contrast.

Interestingly, and curiously... the Entertainment pass's 1080p content is not as much as they would have you believe.  I am watching Project Blue Book on the SyFy channel and War of the Wolds on Fox.... nether of these shows are available in 1080p even through boost - so with a boost subscription its mostly Movies and some entertainment content (Sky 1 mostly) that benefits.

I am happy for those of you that are comfortable with the standard picture quality and perhaps not needing to or wanting to pay the additional £3 per month on boost.  That said, I do think its a completely unacceptable thing to leave off of the new app.

Also the current lack of Boost support means only stereo sound 😟