cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User The Apple TV is a far superior solution to the Now TV Smart Stick. I'd much rather have all of my TV services on a single, slick device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, but if you are getting 5.1 and HD (boost) by using the stick , is this not better than the apple tv which currently does not have this quality?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes a stick or NowTV box is the way get Boost at the moment so the quality is currently better than using the AppleTV app.

What we really want though is the AppleTV app to support Boost so we don't have buy separate devices and have another controller to view just NowTV!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seems illogical not to put boost on Apple TV, given its 4k quality. I  emailed the Apple TV  trials team earlier and asked if the final apple tv app will have boost and they replied:

Thank you for your email.

This has been raised with the team, I don’t know when I’ll get an answer but will keep you posted.

Wait and hope then!

nst
Elite

as we are all saying.. the omission of Boost is quite unfathomable.

I am a tester, and will help out where i can... but I dont really want to sit down and watch a movie in 720 when I can watch it via the (horrible) NowTV box in 1080.

Give them their due... the 'boost' picture quality is massively different and very noticeable.

So, leaving it out of the brand new App is just bizarre.

I can understand them rolling out boost slowly, or only on platforms that technically can support the higher quality streams.... but therefore id imagine it being left off of older hardware.... but of course the AppleTV 4K, and HD boxes (the current gen) are more than capable of this.  

As this is a new app, it needs to be completely up to date.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Might be a silly question, but how are you contacting them?

I have a link to report a fault..... but not an email address to ask a general query.

Am i missing something?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I received an email saying I could access the ATV trial. I just responded  to the trialsmanager email address. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This may be a controversial opinion here, but I'm far more interesting in syncing with the TV app than boost mode. I'm quite satisfied with the streaming quality of Westworld. I guess the bitrate is decent, so it looks good enough. Full HD or even 4K would be better, but ultimately, bit rate is more important than resolution.

Thing is, the ultimate killer feature of the Apple TV for me is the TV app. Having a single consolidated watch list across as many services as possible is fantastic, and being able to use Siri to watch a programme without even having to think about what service it comes from is a really great feature.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

TV app is a no go for me because it’s extremely poorly implemented.

Nowhere clearly shows what ID is logged it to the Apple TV, not that the kids would probably care unless they were forced to log in like on my PS4.  Therefore content gets logged to wrong accounts. 

Then there is the PIN restriction issue, if enabled Apple content just doesn’t show if it’s above the rating.  So the restriction actually hides the content, you can manually search and play by entering a PIN. 

I’ve submitted feedback on both issues to Apple, no comeback yet. If the TV app worked as expected it would be great, but knowing a new episode of Postman Pat has been added as kids used my ID. I don’t think so!

So yes I’m theory would be good to have, in practise it’s poorly implemented by Apple at the moment in my opinion. Would be nice if it supported top shelf mind, Netflix is pretty much only non apple app I’ve got that does, and Infuse. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User, I never thought about it from that perspective. My wife and I have no difficulty handling our accounts separately, but I guess it's more difficult with kids using it.

Still it's a great feature for those of us without children 🙂