cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
alfras3r
Mentor

Unfortunately not! Tried that and no luck. Emailed the trails team and they are on the case 🙂 just wish it had boost

Hooba
Scholar 3

I'm not in the least bit grateful for an updated app. I cannot use it. I don't care how nice it looks, or how snappy it is - there's zero chance of me watching anything in 720p stereo. I'm out until such time as Boost is supported.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here. So we have to wait several years for the next update now with boost?

nst
Elite

I agree.

I have an invite and not yet downloaded the app but am shocked to hear that boost isnt included.

The same as you, I can 'test' to for them but i wont be watching any content in detail as I pay for boost and im not happy to watch on an inferior app.

I think this needs feeding back to the team... perhaps its coming in a later beta.... but id be shocked that the new AppleTV app doesnt have boost.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So had a play around now and some opinions:

• The interface is useable! It is basically we know and used to and have wanted for ages - You have up next available and the same look as other devices - This is huge
  • It's lightning quick - Used the app on a fair few devices and the ATV is by far the fastest, better than the LG and even the Now TV box we have left (old one with freeview RIP) 
  • Streams start fast

Now however the main negative

• No Boost - I have access to another way of watching VOD content and switched back and forward between the other app and NowTV - The difference was night and day. The example I used was Westworld and the 720p NowTV copy looks terrible in comparison to the 1080p version elsewhere.
  • FPS - Not having Boost makes watching sport unwatchable - the 25fps 720p streams are not acceptable in 2020.
  • No integration with the TV app - Personally I think the TV app is the most pointless thing going but some will want it.

So far so good, it took too long to come out but when it does finally release it will be good to replace the awful one currently available.

It would be good to get some clarification re: boost - is it in the plans? It is going to be expanded to more devices? I can tell you now if the ATV doesn't support boost then I won't be subbing anymore than I am (4 months ent for £6), if boost is in the pipeline will be subbing for the future for sky sports every month and will keep ent as well for 1080p quality.

nst
Elite

Boost is 100% essential, and a total deal-breaker for me!

I never actually contemplated the idea that when the new AppleTV app finally was released, that it would not support boost.

I know that boost is not available across all the platforms, but if they can include the PS4, they can include AppleTV!

I will try and get some clarification here.... perhaps its just an early beta... but the bottom line being that f the AppleTV app does not include Boost compatibility... I can never actually use it anyway.  After all this waiting... it could end up completely unusable for me and all the other Boost subscribers.

oh, and @Anonymous User TV app most pointless thing going?! - its great!  whats not to like?   It keeps track of all the things you are watching and lets you know of a new episode when its available.  When you dont have a PVR, this is very welcome functionality.  I do wish it was also integrated with Netflix and the new NowTV app to make it complete.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You've said why 

No Netflix

No Plex

No Disney +

No britbox (I don't have this)

I get it's a good concept but I fine myself never using it because it doesn't support everything. I only have the ATV in one room as well so the app doesn't really offer anything useful.

Put it another way supporting boost would benefit way more people than the TV app.

I had the option of the free year of ATV+ and never redeemed it. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Disney + does have a ATV+ sync. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I still don't understand why we have to beg to pay for 1080p when EVERY major streaming service provider does that as a minimum and go up to 4K resolution.

It's 2020.

nst
Elite

... and its Sky 🙂 

What is more surprising is the fact that they are only making the boost function compatible with a subset of the "supported" (i use that word loosely!) platforms.

They have a £3 per month premium which is still inaccessible to a large proportion of the customer base... whether they like it or not.  Seems a very strange business decision.

lets reserve judgement but if they are honestly thinking of launching the brand new AppleTVHD/AppleTV4K app without boost.... its just nuts.