cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

OK well we're at least getting somewhere!

Has everyone watched the first episode of the new series of Westworld? We found it extremely difficult to hear dialogue in places, the background music was great (and bassy) but it overwhelmed some of the speech in places to the point where we had to switch on subtitles (particularly in the last 20 minutes). I'm wondering if this is because of the currently AppleTV offering only being in stereo, whereas 5.1 might have the music more on rear speakers and not overwhelm the centre/front channels?

0 Thanks
Scholar

Great news the Apple TV is no longer being ignored and neglected.

I have signed up to the trial - hopefully I get selected if not I look forward to actually using NowTv more in the future. The apple TV app not supporting boost and being awful is the SOLE reason I do not have a sky sports subscription with you.

0 Thanks

50% of the show was inaudible.  I've even got Sonos Beam which has been great in enhancing audio but still could not hear the dialogue. 

0 Thanks
Expert 2

@Michael_Cooke wrong thread?

0 Thanks

Now that we know they’re definitely listening as well as Boost, please please please consider integrating with the Apple TV app so NowTV content appears in up next. 

I use that functionality way more to select what I want to watch rather than going into apps themselves to browse.

thanks for listening to us!

Mentor

Yes, that would be great!

0 Thanks
Expert 2

@Phoe66 I have made this point myself a number of times.

This would be phenomenal. 

As you, I use this all the time, and it is SO handy for content coming from iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub, Demand 5, and Amazon Prime.

I recently cancelled my SkyQ, and used to rely on a PVR (for many many years in fact).  The ONLY reason I felt comfortable making the switch was because of the Apple TV app's up next functionality.  If this was not working, it would be such a pain hunting around all the other apps for new episodes of series I am watching.

Having said that, Netflix's decision to NOT integrate has been quite annoying, and disappointing, as it would be very helpful if they did - so I find myself having to look in Netflix to check if there are any new episodes of shows I want to watch also.  Of course at the moment I am also having to do this on NowTV too.

So, NowTV, please.. do what Amazon and the terrestrial broadcasters have done, and integrate with AppleTV.  Im sure its not a difficult thing to do otherwise nobody else would have done it.

Scholar

@nst I'm pretty sure that was a reply to my comment  about dialogue in the new series of Westworld being really difficult to hear on NowTV, which might have better if it was in 5.1 and not just stereo.

After seeing Disney+ today the picture quality is just light years ahead of NowTV, even the front end just feels like it has had a lot of money spent on it and it's pretty similar to Netflix, just very pretty and lightning fast.

I'm actually annoyed that we recently watched The Lion King on now TV with the standard 720 resolution, it's amazing in 4k with HDR on Disney+.

Get with it NowTV, you have a long way to catchup. 

0 Thanks
Expert 2

if its of any consolation, I am one of those who took the decision back in December to purchase a NowTV stand-alone box for £20.  I had a suspicion that we might be waiting for the refreshed AppleTV app for some time so this was a stop-gap for me.

I have to say, that given the Boost add-on, the picture quality for NowTV movies and most TV shows (not many on syfy for some reason) is pretty good.

The interface is terrible of course... but it was only a £20 box and I can't expect it to measure up to my box of choice (i.e. Apple TV).

I am looking forward to the updated NowTV app on Apple TV, assuming of course it supports Boost (it had better!)... then I can ditch the truly horrible NowTV box.

0 Thanks
Scholar 2

I'm so impressed with the a Disney+ app. Full 4K, Dolby Vision & Dolby
Atmos on brand new content. Full 1080p and 5.1 for slightly older content
and only £5.99 per month for 4 users.

There's no way I'm paying an extra £3 for boost mode. It should be standard
for £8.99. Netflix, Amazon Prime Apple TV Plus+ all offer 1080p and 5.1 as
standard and most importantly for me they all offer subtitles.

NOW TV are behaving like dinosaurs in the streaming sector.
0 Thanks