cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread since the betas been out and sickened that we are still having to have discussions on this! I sent a tweet 2 weeks ago that got the reply ‘We are currently looking into this and hope to have it resolved soon’

yesterday I sent this follow up ‘Have you heard anything further why the delay in releasing to the UK? My understanding is this has been developed as a universal app meaning the Apple TV tvOS version is the same as the current iPhone and iPad iOS versions you have released and update continually. So development is not needed, only a release to bring the app into line with other Country regions such as Ireland and Italy. Thanks!’

today I received the following reply ‘Thanks for taking the time to write to us! We wish we could provide you with more info right now, we can only advise to keep an eye on our community post for future updates.’

nst
Elite

whats frustrating is that there is nothing consistent coming from them.

We go from "soon" to "not on the radar" to "nothing to tell you"

And yet we all know the app is available elsewhere.

All we are asking is a reason why the app is not in the UK yet.  Im sure we can accept excuses like "it needs more development" or "bugs have been highlighted from the Irish users" etc... and so it needs a little while (days.. weeks) until full rollout.

Silence, or nothing.. is not acceptable nor is it necessary.

ukbobboy
Legend

@nst @Anonymous User  @Anonymous User  @Anonymous User  and the rest

Guys

I'm guessing that Now TV's non-committal answers are because the problem is probably contractual and not technical. And, as you guys know, they can't talk about commercial-in-confidence stuff.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I sent them a DM a week ago on twitter and never got a response. The sheer size of this thread should mean this is important to them. 

Anyway I will add that they update the iOS app roughly once a month, last was 3 weeks ago, so there is a possibility if our complaints have made any impact or reached the relevant party that the next update could make it universal in the U.K.  

We can only hope. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That would be good zippy. Amazing isn’t it BT announced this week that you can now get nowtv on your BT Box so if they can do something like that which has obviously been months in the making they can’t update an app for us. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Every single time we use NowTV on our AppleTV it annoys us. Knowing that we could be watching in HD but we can't, having to think and search around to know which episode we have watched up to, using their utterly bizarre search which brings back non-related film titles every time we search for the full name of a TV show right at the bottom of the list. Also when you finish an episode, there is no 'play next', just a blank screen... pressing Back takes you two steps back so you have to then find the particular series again on the menu.

Although Apple are notoriously protective and difficult in getting apps into so could be technically-related, I think as others have mentioned that the lack of an update is something to do with licensing/revenue where they don't see it's feasible or it will impact their business negatively elsewhere somehow.

Yes I know, I am still using it, but I am let alone not recommending this service to anyone I know, I am actively persuading them not to subscribe to it! This is not good business sense purely from a PR perspective.

This is all getting me thinking about torrenting again - I haven't done this for years, this used to be mostly a financial choice. I'm happy to subscribe to services now because I can afford to support their creation, but this fundamentally has to be a service that is more convenient and better quality than torrenting. At the moment using AppleTV + NowTV it's the opposite of that.

nst
Elite

Someone said earlier on that NowTV should take notice due to the size of the thread... 

Well its obvious that a lot of us are very keen for this to happen.. and the AppleTV is a not insignificant platform...  

However its also obvious they dont seem to care... and its also a *possibility* that the platform has a very small user base... but thats BECAUSE THE APP IS UNUSABLE SO WE DONT USE IT!!

@Anonymous User Im with you here... and a lot of us have relented and spent £15-£20 on a NowTV box or stick seeing as its so cheap but strictly as a stop gap.  Its horrible... slow... clunky... horrible remote but as us AppleTV owners know... you get what you pay for in life.  And a £20 box is... well, obviously a £20 box.

Someone else mentioned something to do with licensing or whatnot.... thats nonsense in my opinion.. its NowTVs app... with NowTVs content.. and they have an app already on the AppleTV, its just a case of updating it... that is all - no more, no less.... and of course the new App already exists and is being used in other territories...

So, we wait.  more.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As one of the originators of this complaint some years ago, I have been watching this thread over the past few months. it is a shame NOW TV seem to be ignoring the UK customer base still.  I hope they eventually see fit to address this. 

nst
Elite

Wow.

Page 1 of this thread is fascinating reading and very depressing too.

I didnt realise this went back to 2016.  So obviously the original app was only a few months old at this point but was still thought to be sub-standard even back then.

There was a reply in the thread from a staff member - although not someone high up at least someone who took an interest in what was being said and suggested feeding it back... where are these people now???  A calming message from someone on staff in here would be very welcome.

Also.. whats depressing is that this was discussed in 2016..... 2 0 1 6 !!!!  The app has been seen to be rubbish for so many years and its been left to fester for that amount of time....  I mean its not like people are only starting recently to compare it with the functionality of the app on other platforms and wondering why AppleTV doest have that.... its been moaned at constantly for 4 years!!  Whats going on in NowTV that this has been basically ignored for so long and the user experience of the AppleTV paying  customers means so little to them?

Unbelievable.

Hooba
Scholar 3

I think NoTV an appleTV is now a busted flush.

I could put up with the ancient interface, lack of watch lists etc - but at the point they launched the Boost I immediately went out and bought a NowTV stick.

I've now taken NowTV through BT TV. So for that I get full HD, 5.1, 50FPS on all Sports channels, not just the Premier League, F1, Main Event.

So the bar just gets higher and higher - I'm not going to be using AppleTV until such time as they update the App, plus make all the Sports available as 50FPS on all Sports channels.

How long is that going to take? I suspect that NowTV not updating the AppleTV app is a deliberate move to push as many customers as possible to either their own hardware, or to their new partnership with BT.

Seriously though - the NowTV streaming sticks, with a Boost, give fantastic picture and sound, and they are pretty much giving the things away.