cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

But, @Anonymous User the point is that the app *has* been updated!... a little while ago...

but its only been released on the irish and italian app stores, not the UK.

So, its there... and we can only hope that its just a matter of patience.

None of us can begin to fathom the reason why they have chosen to not release it in the UK... especially as going forward it would be a universal app and then should be kept up to date with the iOS app too.  surely that makes sense to them

and as @Anonymous User has said... I too relented and purchased a NowTV box about 2 months ago - it was only £20 and is a horrible user interface experience but at least im getting 1080p, 5.1 and the watchlist functionality.

I hate the interface, and its a pain in the bum having to switch between boxes for content... and I eagerly await thew day the app is updated on the AppleTV to enable me to use one box for all my content.

Juhunio
Mentor

Been watching this thread for a few months now and decided to jump in. Like many I'm impatiently waiting for the updated Now TV app for Apple TV. I use Apple TV for Netflix, Prime, BT Sport, Photos, Podcasts, iPlayer, All4, iTunes movie purchases....oh, and Now TV. I got the 12 month movies and entertainment pass for £99 just before Christmas, paid for with £33 of Clubcard vouchers, and 6 months of Sports for £20/m, so Now TV was a no brainer financially even if the updated UK Apple TV app was on the back burner even then.

I decided to give Boost a test to see if it was worth it, and picked up a 2nd hand Now TV 4K box for £10 and did the week's free trial. The difference in picture and particularly 5.1 sound quality compared to the SD/Stereo Apple TV app experience is marked. So Boost is worth it. But it was just pointless having an extra box that is too limited to replace what Apple TV offers. So I sold it for £10 😁 and got a stick on offer from Now TV for £8 inc 1 month of boost. To my eyes the stick's Boost TV picture isn't as crisp as the box offered but the sound is equal. But the bigger issue is the UX...the stick is SO slow to switch on, constantly glitchy, slow to load, loses TV guides and runs VERY hot. It's a P.o.C. But, it hides round the back of the TV so the only pain is the extra remote. 

I'll stick (!!) with it for now, but cannot wait to throw it in the bin once the new Apple TV app is available. I've reached out to NowTVHelp on Twitter and got the stock "No plans yet" response, which I politely challenged, asking if they could explain why there is a delay here when it is available in other territories. Silence. If I hear anything I'll post back, but urge everyone to keep making polite noise on Twitter to keep this front of mind 

nst
Elite

Totally agree.

Im in the same situation.

As I said.. the Box is fine, the picture quality is good and Boost is worth having.

The user experience is horrible... the interface slow and laggy, the remote is horrible - a bit unforgivable from a brand new box....

I want to use my AppleTV!!

I think another nudge on Twitter is in order.... as others have said.. its all about communication - how hard is it for someone to answer the question "why is the app not available in the UK".  Somebody knows at NowTV...

It wouldn't kill them to ask the question and come back with something like "we are doing a phased release in our smaller territories first and are ironing out some bugs before it is finally released in the UK"

That is better than silence or "soon"

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I should say my opinion is just guessing and I have no idea how it works. But I think there must be a geo-restriction reason why we haven't got it. Just like the reason we don't have Sports Extra pass. It's restricted. I cannot believe a company the size of NowTV wouldn't update the app unless there's a reason. I mean why roll out an update to ROI and Italy and say you know what let's hold off with the UK. Especially since the UK iPhone App store NowTV is updated regularly. I share your frustrations I use Apple TV for EVERYTHING, but the NowTV app was just so bad it made it nearly impossible to use. I'd be happy if we get an update right now. I think there has to be a reason why they haven't, and its unfortunate no one in the know can fill us in.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You see this is the problem people buy nowtv sticks the smart box but the hardware inside is not on a par with an apple 4k box. Yes u may pay £150 for the box but ur getting a premium slick interface fast start up times and great picture and sound quality and very nearly all the apps to use. I do appreciate the average person will go for the stick or the smart box it's a no brainer for £25. But you pay for what you get. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I love the AppleTV 4K Box its best piece of kit I have ever bought. I'm not giving that up I use it for everything else but NowTV until NowTV updates their app.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve now cancelled all my NowTV passes until this abomination of an App is updated in the UK.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread for any updates, otherwise I’m just gonna get on with life without NowTV

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User I can appreciate why you'd do this.

Ive been feeling "oh its any day now" since December.... and that is purely based on knowing that the app exists in Ireland and Italy so surely it was an imminent release.

However, perhaps you can tweet, facebook, or email NowTV with that very point.  They have lost a customer until they can sort this.  Maybe that will galvanise them into action... or at the very least coming back to us with more than "soon".

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've cancelled all my subs since Early December I will probably resub for the Start of the Formula 1 season because i'm such a big fan but before that I had Entertainment Movies and Sports from NowTV so they are losing a fair amount a month from me. BT Sport works perfectly on my AppleTV brilliant experience and even stuff like Britbox has a AppleTV app these days.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I sent a dm to nowtv help on twitter and that was over 36 hours ago and no response. They just dont care shocking service it has to be said. I asked them what the current situation is because the app is being used in ireland and Italy. I also said can someone make a comment on nowtv community but no response. I urge everyone send them a dm to @nowtvhelp not nowtv. Also by all means send a message on Facebook if u have that.