cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
ukbobboy
Legend

@nst 

You know, NST

I agree with you that Now TV should be more transparent on somethings which it is somewhat "dark" on at the moment. And I also agree that anything that helps the customer/end user to make an informed decision on is definitely a good thing. 

But a couple of things jump out at me (which may or may not be wrong), first, any new developments or improvements that appear on Now TV's boxes or sticks are purely down to Roku's R & D dept. So there will always be Roku imposed constrains and timings.

Second, Apple historically has always been cagey about sharing it's technology, so could this poor quality you write about be because Apple will not share something needed by Roku to solve this particular problem? 

I suggest this because way back in the day when Microsoft was first introducing windows, they deliberately held back some code that would have helped prevent their competitors applications from crashing. The result of that decision caused the rise of windows and it's applications as the premier PC productivity tools while their competitors and all their applications faded into disuse and obscurity.

So I was wondering, could Apple be pulling a similar stunt to push their own Apple streaming devices and other related high-priced products?

Getting a bit drunk so I'm off.

UK Bob

Lighthouse Family Rules.

nst
Elite

well its a bit of a 180 to try to turn this into an apple bashing thread... I suspect as we are all AppleTV owners lamenting the fact that the AppleTV app is neglected you wont find much agreement on your point there.

However, you do raise other reasonable points.

Clearly, Roku is the centre of NowTV's world, and the Roku stick/ NowTV stick will always come first.  I think we all accept that is the reality.

However, I doubt its a technology thing.  iOS and TVOS share the same core, and apps can be easily ported from iOS, to iPadOS, to TVOS.  Thats the idea of the platform.

So, given that the iOS/iPadOS app is nicely up to date, and also that the TVOS version actually does exist already (ireland)... you can understand our frustration here.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Some good suggestions there I certainly won’t be buying a nowtv stick not when I purchased the 4k Apple box some 18 months ago, if it means me having to watch my football in 720p then so be it. Maybe a community manager here can pass on this thread to the relevant person in charge of nowtv. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @nst 

Hi Guys

Just wanna say, I'm neither anti or pro Apple and since I'm no longer in my alcoholic induced haze (I've had a bit of a sleep) I'm not gonna post any more stuff in this thread.

Until next time.

Cheers (Beer) Emoji.jpg

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now that Boost is available surely the update will be here soon. 

wouldn't it be great if NowTV set a date! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The fact that the boost feature has been out now for some 5 weeks on selected devices and no one from nowtv has sought to give us an update on the outdated app for Apple TV speaks volumes. 

nst
Elite

way more than 5 weeks.  I believe i started using it back in November... but on either the PS4, or the NowTV Box.

Anyone asking for an update from NowTV will probably be disappointed!

Im a bit confused having participated and followed this discussion for a while now... its was the case that the AppleTV update was going to be here soon... and then before Christmas, and then in January... yet here we are in February.

This is making no sense.... I would be interested to know what proportion of the user base use AppleTV... but this is a nonsense... as the more interesting question is what proportion of the user base WANTS to use AppleTV but currently CANNOT due to the old crappy app.

I suspect that appleTV is being neglected because of the minuscule user base in comparison to say the PS4.... however why dont they realise that the only reason the user base is so low is because the app is 4 years old, and practically unusable.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also u have to think that the apple4k box is a decent upscaler they maybe think if we release an upto date nowtv app they won’t get the boost. I can watch premier league football yes but at 720p so imagine the difference a 1080p version would bring. I don’t know if a lot of Apple TV users are aware but don’t have it on 1080p when watching sports stick to 720p. Yes we will wait and see what happens. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh, we're aware.

Currently following this issue up with an ombudsman.

I hope many others will do the same.

We're paying for a service that's not up to par on purpose.

My app crashes ALL THE TIME. I have to close and reopen after every episode of a series, etc...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Roku is centre of Now TV’s world because Sky invested in Roku I believe. Some of their hardware is only available in the U.K. Now TV branded. 

Neglect for Apple TV seems short sighted as it has been said people who own Apple products are more affluent and have more disposable income. Therefore likely candidates to buy your service!

Plus Apple made it easy by way of universal apps to support Apple TV. Plus Now TV actually have a new app, just not in the UK. 

I’m really want to give Now TV money regularly, but they force me not to because of a poor buggy app, meaning I don’t get value from the service as the interface is awful and doesn’t even show the next episode, never mind what I’m currently watching. 

Oh well you sometimes just can’t get people to take your money, on the positive I buy a couple of months every so often at cheapest prepaid price just to watch box sets.