cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

I recently ditched sky q.... reason being it was £55 per month for entertainment and movies... and then on Black Friday NowTV had a £99 for 1 years entertainment and movies pass.  Im sure you'll agree £8.25 per month is a bit better than £55!

I was going to pass on that as NowTV was lower quality but then found out about the boost function.  This was enough for me to consider the switch, and eventually I did it.

I am losing nothing by not being able to record things... but I do need a reliable "your next episode of xxxx is ready to watch" seeing as I no longer have an automatic record queue.  The newest version of the NowTV app works OK for this (not as good, but when its working its acceptable bearing in mind the monthly savings to ditching SkyQ).

When I cancelled Sky, they asked why and I told them that I was going to use NowTV so they weren't losing me as such... but they said that NowTV was nothing to do with Sky... and they simply leased their content to them.

That said, @Anonymous User cannot be quite right.

Whatever the reason for the continuing delay remains a mystery.  I cant add anything else that we haven't said here before.  its baffling.  And if an app is available for AppleTV then why not release it in the UK too.  It will certainly help me out a great deal - ASSUMING that boost will be supported when it updates (can you imagine it not?!?!).

Im happy to be a nowTV customer, and my very cheap NowTV box is still working well and providing me with the boost function, however I watch all my other content through my AppleTV - the TV app is wonderful as a replacement to the SkyQ recording queue as it will present new shows that appeared on BBC, ITV, C4, C5, and Amazon Prime.  I also watch my Netflix shows via AppleTV of course.  Its a pain to have to switch over to another box, another remote control just for Sky content - so the new AppleTV app cant come soon enough.

But its February and we still wait!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I emailed the trials team a few backs asking for an update and they replied spaying they have no idea when it’s going to be updated and the y are just as frustrated as we are, apparently there concentrating on there Roku box other other things rather than the Apple TV app, very disappointing even if they just released the Irish app here surely that would be so much better. I to ditched sky q for Nowtv as the Apple box is so much better, shame they can’t just update it line the year so the iPhone app etc

nst
Elite

I think, as customers, its not much to ask for NowTV to have functional parity across all its advertised devices.

At the moment, they proudly say it can be watched on x,y,and z platforms.

What they dont make too clear is that some platforms can do more things than others... and also that only a few platforms are compatible with the Boost function.

Surely, its better for NowTV to admit that they do not have the development capacity to support multiple different platforms and just concentrate on a few.

OK... I NO NOT want AppleTV to be ditched... though arguably the current app is just as bad as the platform not being supported at all.  However in my opinion, the app should be made available, in order of importance (user base):

NowTV box/stick (has to be first for obvious reasons)

iOS & Android devices.

Xbox/PS4 (just for the vast potential user base)

AppleTV

Roku (because their device is what the NowTV device is based on - but presumably a much smaller user base)

Note: - I would ditch ALL built-in TV operating system apps. Samsung, LG, etc etc - Might not be a popular idea but there must be so many different dev teams required for this.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Issue is don’t they already have an updated app in Ireland and Italy?  So they have the app done already. 

Plus Apple has universal apps, so the iOS and TvOS app should be one and the same. The TV interface can be standard. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@nst 

Hey NST

I'm a Now TV customer, nothing more, but after reading your post I can see that it really cannot hold up because it only takes a singular point of view.

As Now TV is a business entity it would have a business plan, fairly obvious, a firm understanding of the resources it has, the market sector it's aiming at and, I suspect, the economic viability of that market sector.

So whereas you are looking at how you will benefit from your suggested changes, Now TV has to consider how best to grow it's customer base in order to benefit itself, as a company, and it's employees. Such information, which I would believe it has at it's finger tips, it will put into action when it considers the time is appropriate.

However, if you believe your suggestions have merit then you should re-present them in this forum's forth coming ideas section.

UK Bob

nst
Elite

well this has to be one of the strangest replies ive ever head on a forum 🙂

ukbobboy
Legend

@nst 

Well NST

I guess so but I'm not that strange (I think), just having a Smirnoff and cola while listening to some music and seeing where my thoughts/mood takes me. 

Still, if you think I'm wrong then please explain why.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC itv all the terrestrial broadcasters have upto date apps on an Apple device be it mobile or box. The fact the nowtv can not apply an update to these remaining devices is nothing a joke. Nothing more nothing less. I’d love someone from nowtv to come on here and explain the thinking behind that or even an update.  As was just said they have an upto date app in the Ireland and italy app. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey TU

Now TV has never explained anything about their updates, for example it would help immensely if they explained the fixes they roll out but that's never happened nor, I guess, it ever will.

As for the Irish and Italian parts of Now TV, I guess they are probably run semi-autonomously and so have a certain amount of operational freedom from HQ.

UK Bob

nst
Elite

As I said... functional parity across all supported devices. - thats all we are asking / expecting.

The iOS app is clearly given a lot of TLC... but the AppleTV app is TVOS based and exceptionally easy to port (if indeed there is ANY development required to make it work on the TV).

Our expectations here are not unreasonable.

Either that, or officially drop a platform as being supported if there are to be no more updates to it.  The consumers can then make an informed choice as to which streaming services they will support, and on which devices they choose to buy.

To anyone buying an AppleTV now with a specific requirement to watch NowTV on it, they will be totally shocked at the quality of the app they find on the platform.  There is no indication on NowTV's website that the AppleTV is seen by them as the poor relation!

But, communication is key - its a shame that NowTV are not more transparent about what they are doing here.  

One thing for sure is that us AppleTV owners are totally in the dark here.  Its not as if we are using some ropey old hardware (such as an older TV), or a last generation games console... we are using the current AppleTV 4K - not exactly a niche product.