cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anybody got any news or updates of when the update might be released

Hooba
Scholar 3

The beta for the updated app expires in a couple of days - so I guess that'll be the end of that. Not that I'm particularly bothered anymore - I've already cancelled sports, movies, entertainment. The beta was ok I suppose - still a bit clunky. And still the same old 720p and stereo sound - I just can't watch it anymore. Didn't bother with the F1 season pass this year - prefer to watch the highlights on Channel 4, rather than watching it live and suffering the dire quality of NowTV. It's possible I may pick up an occasional sports pass when 2019/20 Premier League gets up and running - but I may have to just make do with BT Sport instead which looks great through Apple TV.  I'm only interested in watching high quality streams - I've spent a good few bob on 4K TV, Apple TV, home cinema set up. Happy to pay a premium for premium product / service - but NowTV ain't it, and I refuse to enter into a lengthy contract with Sky. Sky did make some sense a few years ago - but not anymore. The quality of programming and streams through Netflix / Amazon / iTunes knocks pretty much all of Sky's offering into a cocked hat, and not a contract in sight. BT Sport and BBC for the footy will have to do ...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it really that bad still?? was thinking of taking out a couple of passes but will give it a miss now I think. Completely agree with what your saying tho the other apps have far better quality and like you said no contract in sight. Shame I thought Now TV was going to pull something special out the bag.

Simonpaddy1
Scholar 2

That’s disappointing to hear but not totally surprising. Real shame that whoever is making decisions at NowTV doesn’t want to spend time or money on what could be a killer app - their content and price point is pretty good, but it’s next to impossible to watch. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV will always be a sideline as long as the satellite business is profitable. Sky have 1080p and even some 4K on satellite, but of course you'd be up to your neck in contracts and eye watering prices to get it. 

Netflix and Amazon have no legacy service to protect, so they can go all in. The same will be true of upcoming services such as Apple TV+ and Disney+. All of these services are 4K Dolby Vision HDR with Dolby Atmos audio. 

I don't expect to see Now TV go beyond 720p and stereo audio for a very, very long time. 5-10 years or so. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Spot on, not going to happen and if it does there will be a cost.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unlikely to happen in the near future and neither is 1080p, as don’t think Sky / Now TV have the expertise in house to develop apps to the same standard as BT Sport and BBC IPlayer, Netflix etc.  And neither do they have the infrastructure by the looks of it to stream HD content without it being heavily compressed at low bit rate and ridiculous frame rate conversion.  This is where technology companies like BT, BBC, Netflix have an edge as they have the know how and expertise to video stream content at high quality.

It’s good that other players like BT and Amazon Prime are getting into this game and will hopefully improve things for consumers in the long term by offering a superior product in terms of quality and are also more affordable.  

Hoping Netflix and Apple+ join the bidding for live sports rights in UK, wouldn’t that be great - fluid 4K and 1080p 50fps video streams as standard and a great app to go with it. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm sure I read somewhere that amazon have bid and won some premier league football matches for next season. It would be fantastic if there was a shift in they way we watch these things rather than be held to lengthy contracts and high pricing. my only wish for the apple tv is to have a programme guide for the uk similar to the layout of Sky q etc rather than the horrible TV player, and one were you could have reminders etc for your episodes or shows. I'm new to apple tv so please feel free to share if this is something that already exists as I would love to cancel sky q all together and just use my apple tv 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've resisted adding to this thread, I was on the trial of the new interface, wasn't asked to do anything though, which was annoying, the trial app has now expired and now I'm back with the rest of you on the ancient version. 

NowTV, this like your procrastination over HD is disgraceful. We need to know when you are going to release the trialled version, which emulated other device interfaces well. 

Come on get some information out to customers NOW. Your information flow is atrocious. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User was the new interface any good??