cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

There is a recent article in Forbes that shows the phenomenal success of Amazon Video's updated app on Apple TV. NowTV should see this as justification for updating their app on Apple TV.

"Amazon has revealed today that the recently released Apple TV version of Amazon Video has enjoyed more downloads in its first week than any other app in the history of tvOS. 

The fact that this has happened on a platform which has long boasted both Netflix and its own iTunes collection of TV shows and movies shows just how important the presence of Amazon Video has become to any video streaming device."

Apple TV Amazon Video App Is A Record Breaker

Highlighted
Advocate

Agree with most posts here, I’ve cancelled Cinema and Entertainment, also sorely tempted to cancel Sport - the current Apple TV app is an embarrassment and not worth my money.
Highlighted
Scholar

"I wonder what Sky's Apple TV team looks like. An empty chair perhaps? Or a corpse?"

I have it on good authority that one of those options is in fact entirely accurate.

As for Amazon doing well: great. I subscribe to Prime, and although the Fire TV stick is fine, I'm happier using just one device. Once Channel 4 get their ###### in gear, that's telly largely sorted. Well, apart from NOW TV, but I'll spend my money elsewhere until they actually seem to give a toss about their users.

Highlighted
Advocate

Hi Nopw TV - the whole reason that i bought my apple tv was so that i could play all of my subscriptions through one port as my TV is quire old and my you view box will not play now tv entertainment only films.

Now i find that it is a really poor version when i ask Siri to search he says that is not available in my region - what ever that means and he cannot explain what that means.

I too will be leaving my subscription if this is not resolved soon and move back to netflix or amazon prime.

Highlighted
Mentor

Siri, integration with Apple’s new TV app, My TV section, Watch List, Recently Played....

*bangs head off wall*

It’s like you don’t like to keep your subscribers....
Highlighted
Mentor

Feature parity with other NowTV apps minimum, Apple TV App intergration if posible

Highlighted
Scholar 2

Native HD coming to now tv later this year (assume new football season) I’d expect if we get an update it will be around then....
Highlighted
Expert

@Wentey wrote:
Native HD coming to now tv later this year (assume new football season) I’d expect if we get an update it will be around then....

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Sky will still need the 720p feeds for the older now TV boxes which weren't capable of 1080p. And besides, even if Sky did decide to send the ATV 1080p feeds the app itself could remain completely untouched.  It's comical really that Sky are only just moving to 1080p now when Amazon and Netflix are 4K HDR. I wonder if Sky will bump the audio into 5.1? Or will they keep pushing 2 channel stereo. Netflix of course made the move into Dolby Atmos a while back. 

One other feature which I personally find essrntial now is for apps to support frame rate switching. If your TV supports it, this allows a perfect sync between the frame rate of the content and the frame rate of the TV. All of the big ATV apps support it, except Now TV of course, and once you're used to it, there's no going back. It's a night and day difference.

If ever I use Now TV, which is very rare these days, it feels like going back in time. 1080p is a minor improvement to a service and app that frankly needs a total rebuild.

Highlighted
Mentor

Even a "continue watching..." tab/button would make it immeasurably better.

Highlighted
Scholar 2

Agree on frame matching feature

I don’t think any of the uk catch up apps support this yet on Apple TV from testing only Netflix and amazon as well as iTunes-it’s a fairly new feature so hopefully they will “catch up” bbc usually pretty good at using features although they still haven’t added subtitles even now tv have done that!
0 Thanks