cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There's an update to the app available now, but don't get excited, it changes nothing. It's some sort of certificate update. 

Sky it seems will do the bare minimum to keep the app from completly breaking, but nothing more. Just enough to people paying. Truly disgusting. 

The difference between Netflix and Now TV couldn't be more stark. No wonder Netflix absolutely dominate the market. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ive been holding out for a while. I keep it as we watch Sky 1 & Atlantic, and put movies on for Xmas.

I think if they are trying to annoy us so we will buy SKYQ , nice as it is, its 5 years too late. Now TV is adequate and people are tyring to have one box solution. 

On another note to get to a one box solution, I'm also waiting for apple to launch TV app like USA , then Amazon Prime soon I hope.

It all seems disjointed, if they all worked together it would be a nice experience, but its been years waiting for them all to get together but they are all worried about their branding but by doing so it's giving a worse experience for the consumer.

Shame on Sky.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I noticed on the apple shop app they have an image of an Apple TV screen with the updated Now Tv logo. I'm an optimist and I think it's a good sign.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
I noticed on the apple shop app they have an image of an Apple TV screen with the updated Now Tv logo. I'm an optimist and I think it's a good sign.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  Sky don't even bother to monitor this forum anymore which shows their level of interest in the platform.

I see Channel 5 have finally released their My5 app for the ATV, and they've done a pretty solid job. Atractive design and a favourites list. I realise having a favourite anything on Channel 5 is a stretch, but hey ho. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've literally just cancelled my passes after waiting so long for a decent app with 1080p support on TVOS.  Since the recent app launches I can get 90% of the films and series I want to watch between iPlayer, iTVhub, 5player, Prime and Netflix in better quality, with a decent app interface for less money.

Shame, but they had a more than fair chance.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Deficiencies of the NowTV app:

Blank screen after a program ends

doesnt keep track of episodes that have been watched

now the TV app is here:

lack of integration with the tv

ALso as a consequence of the new TV app and the Amazon Prime Video app, ITV hub etc appearing, there is more content available and less justification to keep paying for NowTV. 

If, as was previously stated by the NowTV staff, Apple is responsible for producing updates, then I believe Apple would have updated it to integrate with the TV app. Therefore I believe that the NowTV staff thinking its updated by Apple is simply a misunderstanding. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m liking the new TV app (running on a new AppleTV 4K) and the fact that NowTV doesn’t integrate with it at all only means it’s a matter of time before I stop watching Sky’s content and ultimately stop paying for it.

It’s already started feeling like a chore to use with issues like the blank screen at the end of a stream, which has got worse since the tvOS 11.2 added the ability to match the video settings to the content. With everything else (Netflix, Amazon, my5, ITVhub and iTunes) tracking where you are so well, NowTV’s app feels outdated and little has really changed since I first used it on the original AppleTV.

When you consider all that has changed around it, no update since October 2015 is staggering and suggests to me that there must be some under the table deal going on to keep it limping along when tvOS 11 required solid updates from other providers.

I have no interest in adding another box to the system to support NowTV and now only have the AppleTV and a PS4 under the TV and stream everything we watch (no sat, cable or Freeview even), so please NowTV, up your game!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I recently tried contacting Now TV "support" over this farce. I knew full well it would be a waste of time, so it was more out of morbid curiosity.

The response was an adamant insistence I reinstall the app as that would fix the problems with it. After putting up a fight I did as asked, which of course, was every bit the waste of time I said it would be.

After that matter was passed to "technical support" and I was told that the Apple TV team was aware of the issues and would fix them ASAP. I wonder what Sky's Apple TV team looks like. An empty chair perhaps? Or a corpse?

It's strange to see such a large company behave in such a deceitful, offensive way. Perhaps it's the Murdoch way, who knows. I'd love to know what the subscriber numbers are between Netflix, Amazon, and Now TV are. I bet they're amusing.
nickmorc
Expert 2

Its a great shame, I too have started to wind down my reliance on Now Tv. I have started by cancelling the Cinema Pass. I am now using the Apple Tv all the time. The black Now Tv box has been removed.

So there you have it, a loyal subscriber from the start is moving on, due to Now Tvs reluctance to make a decent app.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
The new Apple TV TV app is a bit of a game changer. Really fast and convenient. I’m pretty sure that any service that doesn’t integrate into the new platform is going to lose apple customers. If ITV, BBC and Channel 5 can manage it you would have though Sky would want to as well.