cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stoli412 is spot on - devs create the app they want and submit to Apple. This is new on ATV4.

You could always get a new NowTV box for free at the moment. Yes, I know it's and extra box and remote. It's the quickest fix you're likely to get!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep the UI isn't pretty to look at on Apple, but I generally just watch live tv, a very cheap way for me to watch sky.

Would like it to look more like the roku ui.

Let's compare Netflix, several categories are missing compared to Apple tv3. Doesn't show the whole library as pushes programmes it wants you to watch in random categories. ATV3 allows a full library listing, and I actually prefer the old interface as I hate the same regurgitated rubbish being recommended to me, more like some providers paid more to push their programming first and sons of those unique little shows/movies in the library get missed. ATV4 is missing GLBT, Foreign films/French/German/Spanish/Italian/Scandinavian/Eastern European/World Categories. The independent films is missing about 60 films as you scroll through. Frankly it's useless!!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So yep Netflix looks pretty, but in reality it isn't that good unless you know what you want to watch, the atv3 version allowed you to browse more movies than the atv4.

Nowtv is the same between atv3 and atv4, except the colour of the app is orange on atv3 and still the old green on atv4. ATV3 tends to be more stable, but think that's more due to there not really being any Apple software updates on ATV3 whereas there are always updates on atv4, especially the with apps interface.

Overall I find the now to picture quality far superior compared to roku, both live and on demand, especially with live sports and fast moving picture frames, and compared to the satellite broadcast I find there to be little difference, not enough for me to justify the additional expense.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can't believe they are about to increase the cost of viewing and still have not addressed this. I am very close to cancelling my subscription now
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm a new NOW TV subscriber and use Apple TV. I can't believe how bad this app is. I'm not looking for much

Number 1 request - it should at least remember what I've watched and make it easy to watch the next episode

Number 2 request - allow the My List feature to sync across from web or other devices.

That would do !  Please !

I'll be cancelling after my offer period 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s all about control. It’s always ever been about control. This isn’t a NOW TV thing, but a TV thing in general. Everyone wants you using their box, in order to funnel you towards their services. The thing is, this all goes pear-shaped when your service is really the driver of profit, and when people are sick of the waste involved in having a bunch of separate devices, all individually powered, cluttering up their TVs.

And there’s really no excuse for it. Any company can submit a full tvOS app, in the same manner as an iOS one. On Apple TV, Amazon at least appears to finally be coming to its senses, but few others are. Some (such as Channel 4) have at least ‘supported’ the box in as much as allowing fully working AirPlay. NOW TV, though, is just a joke.

I don’t think anyone from NOW TV needs to reply here, because it’s very obvious this is a dead app. It will be patched to the level that it continues to play content, and get the odd internal update (such as subtitles on seemingly random shows), but that’s it. My hope is Apple kills pre-tvOS apps with the next release of the OS and forces NOW TV’s hand. I doubt it will though.

As for NOW TV, I’d just like less of the dishonestly. Support since the release of the Apple TV has gone with the flowery “we hope to have news for you soon” rubbish. Just admit the app isn’t going to ever be updated in any meaningful sense, and tell people you’d prefer they use your own NOW TV box.

And, yeah, that price increase. Ouch. I think once Game of Thrones is over, I’m done.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The people defending NowTV in this thread is laughable. 

So a quick summary of the history of the NowTV app on Apple TV. 

1. Apple collaborated with Sky to create a NowTV app on the Apple TV. This needed to be a collaboration as the Apple TV didn’t have an App Store. Any updates to this had to be done via Apple. 

2. Apple release the 4th gen Apple TV and introduce an App Store. I can only imagine there were conversations with sky about the Now TV app and for some reason a decision was made to continue using the same code and UI from the original Apple TV version and just wrap is up as an App Store app. Thiis meant the 1.0 (or whatever version it is) requires assistance from Apple to update it as they were the ones that actually created it. 

3. As the App Store allows any paid app developers to submit new apps or develop new updates to existing apps this is completely in the hands of Now TV. So if Now TV wanted to develop and submit a 2.0 version of Now TV (to look however Now TV see fit while aligning to App Store guidelines) they could do. 

4. As of right now Now TV (not Apple) have chosen not to release a new 2.0 version. Which is why Apple still need to be involved in fixing the existing one (via customer complains to Now TV).

5. I think the Now TV service is great with the sole exception of the Apple TV app. I have no idea why Now TV have closen not to update the app but the people on this forum need to stop trying to blame apple for something that is completely and solely in the control of Now TV. There is absolutely no point in trying to make slight updates to the existing app via Apple. It need a completely rewritten (ideally all native in swift) 2.0 app and only Now TV can instigate this. 

6. There may be some light at the end of the tunnel as Now Tv is mentioned on the new Apple TV 4K box and on advertising shows Siri being asked about the next game on sky sports. This is functionality that right now is not possible so could be hinting finally at an update. Though I really won’t be holding my breath without some solid comms from sky or Now TV. 

I hope this clears things up and stops the conversation going round in circles. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I just bought an Apple TV 4K as I am trying to consolidate all my on demand viewing on one box. I have used the app on my LG TV and it is great.

Unfortunately the Apple TV one seems quite basic. I hope there are plans to update this. Can anyone from NowTV confirm any future plans.

Also here's an idea, let the community build the app for you. Have a competition on either design or building an app for you.

Let's hope for some good news soon.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi,

I just bought an Apple TV 4K as I am trying to consolidate all my on demand viewing on one box. I have used the app on my LG TV and it is great.

Unfortunately the Apple TV one seems quite basic. I hope there are plans to update this. Can anyone from NowTV confirm any future plans.

Also here's an idea, let the community build the app for you. Have a competition on either design or building an app for you.

Let's hope for some good news soon.

It will never be updated. Sky haven't released a single update for it in over 2 years. It's abandonware.  Just use the app built into your TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

“I have no idea why Now TV have closen not to update the app”

Control and competition, presumably. NOW TV wants you using its box, not Apple TV.

“Now Tv is mentioned on the new Apple TV 4K box”

I imagine that’s not really through choice. Apple TV has a big problem in the UK, in terms of support. If Apple took the NOW TV logo off of its marketing, what else is there beyond YouTube and Netflix? A half-hearted version if iPlayer? Some news apps? A few niche concerns like Hopster?

“Can anyone from NowTV confirm any future plans.”

Short of an official press release, I wouldn’t trust anything NOW TV says more than you can throw their entire HQ. They’ve been offering ‘possibly’ and ‘hope to’ since the fourth-gen Apple TV arrived. They’ve been stringing along customers, either knowingly or unknowingly (depending on how much access the support teams have to future plans); this has also been peppered with – at best – misdirection as to the reasoning behind the poor app (blaming Apple regarding updates, when NOW TV could if it wanted submit a native, new app, mostly porting across its iOS one and adjusting the UI to suit).

“Also here's an idea, let the community build the app for you. Have a competition on either design or building an app for you.”

Just no. NOW TV isn’t a charity. It makes a ton of profit, and should sort its own app. It shouldn’t rely on people’s goodwill to have one made.