cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Have you seen the NOW TV UI that runs on a NOW TV box @Anonymous User?

In my opinion it looks much better than the one created by the Apple 'third-party' company. And it actually works 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It does look better @SeeMoreDigital, but so does Netflix which is a properly developed native app for tvOS/Apple TV 4.  The reason people are referring to the iOS app is because porting that to tvOS would be the quickest way of replacing the current awful Apple TV 2/3 port. Alternatively if NowTV are adamant on doing as little as possible for the platform then they should at least consider integrating with Apple's official TV app which I believe is launching in the U.K. later this year.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly. As noted, I’m not sure what SeeMoreDigital is getting at in this thread. Apple acts as a gatekeeper to the App Store, but that's all. It doesn’t develop apps other than its own – Apple TV 3 being an anomaly. And as you say, Sam, there are load of different UIs on the system – you don’t have to do anything Apple’s way.

SeeMoreDigital said:

“Perhaps you'd all be better off lodging your UI complaints to directly to Apple...”

Why? In this case, the block is NOW TV, who – presumably for commercial reasons – have chosen to not fully support Apple TV (perhaps to ‘encourage’ people to buy their branded hardware). Amazon did much the same, but at least had the decently to enable its iOS app to work via AirPlay. NOW TV won’t even do that. (And, yes, I know: contracts blah blah blah. But it’s 2017. It’s not a surprise people will want to ‘cast’ stuff to a box.)

Again, the only conclusion it’s possible to come to is that NOW TV doesn’t care about Apple TV at all. Which is fair enough; but the fact its support people keep stringing everyone along (“hopefully, there will be more news soon!”) is getting old.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I get the feeling @SeeMoreDigital doesn't get the difference between Apple TV 2/3 apps and Apple TV 4 (tvOS) apps. Apple TV 2/3 apps did indeed need to follow Apple's UI guidelines, and they all looked the same more or less. tvOS apps for the Apple TV 4 are much more similar to iOS apps, in that they are created directly by the developer (not Apple or a 3rd party) and they can have nearly any UI they want.

There's NO reason Now TV can't develop a tvOS app (or port their very good, existing iOS app) and use their own UI. AND they could choose to have their 3rd party separately continue to maintain the current Now TV app for use on the Apple 2/3 only, or they could choose to end support since it's "legacy".

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have to say, I’m currently watching the Manchester Derby on SSPL and I have to say, I’m pretty impressed with the quality of the picture.

Now I’m on the Beta so I’m not sure they’ve done some stuff behind the scenes but it’s definitely the best quality picture I’ve seen on NowTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
See I’ve said this before, whilst 720p I believe the picture quality is way better than Netflix which is my main viewing and that’s 1080p.

I think NowTV are using a higher bitrate compared to Netflix, noticeably higher. So whilst the resolution is lower the quality is better meaning the upscale is more effective.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I totally get what you are saying.  And I dont dispute it one bit.

But I can confirm that the bog standard cheapo NowTV box, with a boost subscription, when compared side to side with the 'standard' quality is very noticeably better.  Not just a bit, not just subjectively speaking, but very much better.

What you say is also interesting because ive noticed that Netflix and Disney+, and Amazon Prime's so-called UHD or 4K streams do not look any better than NowTV's 1080p content.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Video UHD content may look comparable to Now TV 1080p streams now but, that's only because of the current bandwidth restrictions in place for all the former. Netflix Dolby Vision streams, with Atmos max out at 7.62Mb/s. You'll never get close to what that content can look like, with those data rates. It does well to look good with the non throttled, 15.26Mb/s data rates.

Is there an opportunity to join the beta? I'm a Quality Assurance professional by trade, so it would be interesting and I'd like to contribute. I was 'forced' into buying a Now TV stick after finding out the Apple TV 4K doesn't support Boost, so I have a vested interest in contributing too.

Paul

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I would be surprised at this point to be honest and it's been a bit of a mixed bag trial so far. Hopefully everyone can get there hands on the completed app soon. there has been small fixes between the builds so far but they have been slow to push out. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been watching this thread for a few months now and it does seem to be slow going. Reminds me of a number of projects I've been involved with. 😁

Paul