cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat! The extra content provided via NowTV's subsctiption doesnt justify the cost when you have to put up with such a bad end user experience.  Seriously about to jump ship and continue with Netflix and other providers whose interface, video quality and overall experience is much better, albeit at the expense of SOME content.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I think it’s safe to say NOW TV has no intention of supporting Apple TV, presumably because they’d rather people bought their own hardware box instead.

Couldn't agree more. The sad thing is Sky could have dominated the market as a true cross platfrom conent provide instead of having the mindset of a proprietary hardware distributor, following the same model as their antiquated satellite service instead of what's correct for a digital medium.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I recieved an email this morning from them asking me if I'd like a FREE Now TV box so I guess that says it all and their going to follow the Amazon business model. I could understand if they had no app development whatsoever, but the fact there is an application already on iOS that would not take significant resources to port is disappointing.  This could of been great but it's back to Netflix for me in hope of a more open model for UK broadcasters to compete against NowTV's content monopoly which might actually make them improve their service.

Disappointing to the max!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I think it’s safe to say NOW TV has no intention of supporting Apple TV, presumably because they’d rather people bought their own hardware box instead....

Or given that Apple offer their own content, it could be the other way round...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"Or given that Apple offer their own content, it could be the other way round..."

That makes no sense. NOW TV is perfectly at liberty to issue its own tvOS app. It has an iOS one that would be relatively easy to port. Instead, it has done almost _nothing_ for two years. Apple isn’t stopping NOW TV from creating an app any more than it stopped Netflix from doing so.

This is a choice, for whatever reason, being made by NOW TV, as is the decision to not offer any kind of workaround. Amazon Video at least enables you to AirPlay to Apple TV, given that Amazon and Apple have some kind of petulant Cold War going on. NOW TV’s stance appears to be “buy our box or use a tablet”. The former isn’t great if you already have an alternate box, and the latter is unsuitable if more than one person is watching.

Again, my conclusion is NOW TV simply doesn’t care about this. Actions speak louder than words, after all.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Looks like Amazon & Apple have buried that hatchet which will give Apple TV users other options as NowTV continue to ignore us.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

That makes no sense. NOW TV is perfectly at liberty to issue its own tvOS app...

From what I understand, when NOW TV submitted their standard UI to Apple it was rejected, as it was not flashy enough. The 'scrolling window' style UI that you guys see on your Apple TV devices has been designed and is controlled by an Apple approved 'third-party' company, not NOW TV.

So when-ever NOW TV change their content and genres (which is very frequently), the information is sbmitted to the Apple approved 'third-party' company for them to incorporate within their swanky Apple TV UI. All of which is out of NOW TV's direct control...

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"From what I understand, when NOW TV submitted their standard UI to Apple it was rejected, as it was not flashy enough. The 'scrolling window' style UI that you guys see on your Apple TV devices has been designed and is controlled by an Apple approved 'third-party' company, not NOW TV."

I’ve not heard that from anyone – not from NOW TV nor someone I know who works _at_ NOW TV. Regardless, even if that were the case, it doesn’t stop NOW TV tweaking the UI and resubmitting. (As for ‘not flashy enough’, that makes no sense. There are very varied UIs on Apple TV.)

I’m also aware the existing NOW TV app is basically a script-based thing that’s been shunted across from the older ATV, and is in part outside of NOW TV’s control. Again, all the more reason to port a decent fully native app the company does control.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...Again, all the more reason to port a decent fully native app the company does control.

The NOW TV UI that's available on the NOW TV branded products (and on my LG televisions) looks pretty good to me. But given Apple like to have things done 'their way' @Anonymous User, what you suggest would seem to be "easier said than done!"

Perhaps you'd all be better off lodging your UI complaints to directly to Apple...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

...Again, all the more reason to port a decent fully native app the company does control.

The NOW TV UI that's available on the NOW TV branded products (and on my LG televisions) looks pretty good to me. But given Apple like to have things done 'their way' @Anonymous User, what you suggest would seem to be "easier said than done!"

Perhaps you'd all be better off lodging your UI complaints to directly to Apple...

Have you seen the variety of UIs that apps have on the Apple TV 4? It certainly doesn't have to be "Apple's way". The problem is that Now TV refuses, for whatever reason, to develop an app for the Apple TV 4 and is carrying on with its legacy Apple TV 2/3 app that was developed/controlled by a 3rd party. Again, they are choosing to do this: Apple are not blocking them from developing a new app; Apple are not saying they must use a certain UI. Many other "legacy" apps jumped from the old 2/3 platform to the new 4 platform and developed very rich custom UIs for their apps (eg, Netflix, etc).