cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Live movie listings incorrect

Thanks @Karl-F - as you can see form the comments, there was a disagreement as to who customers should contact with regards the app. In the future, who should we contact and who is responsible for the app? It feels clear to many of us that it is NowTV we should get in touch with, could you please let us know if this is no longer the case? Thanks again

0 Thanks
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mrhoopla

No problem at all. If you have any issues with the NOW TV App on your Apple TV device, please get in touch with us here, as we'll be able to get the ball rolling and contact Apple if they are required to assist. 

Then we'll try our best to get the issue fixed as quickly as possible. 

Thanks again all. 

Karl

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar

@SeeMoreDigital I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. When Apple and NowTV co-created the original app, the system on the 2nd and 3rd gen AppleTV had fewer features and didn't have as much flexibility. So yes, there were fewer options for the appearance of the app which was built into the system. So updates for bugs in the 2nd/3rd gen app do need to be done in conjunction with Apple and NowTV together, but are always going to look different from other NowTV apps due to the constraints of the platform.

The 4th Generation AppleTV uses a different OS, one adapted from the iOS used for iPhones and iPads (although they have 'skinned' it so the OS looks very similar to the older generation for consistency). This new tvOS allows developers a much greater level of customisation. Should NowTV get round to updating the app for the current AppleTV then they have that flexibility to keep UI consistency between platforms, in much the same way that the iPhone app can largely resemble the Android app. However because NowTV have ignored the Apple TV since the 4th generation was released we are left with a bad port of the old AppleTV's NowTV app which means that the 'Appleised' (as you call it) user interface has been carried forward. NowTV have the freedom to bring this in line with other platforms and are now responsible for repairing any bugs in the app and Apple's role is significantly reduced from the role they played in apps for the old system. Now Apple's level of responsibility for the NowTV app is more along the lines of Microsoft's level responsibility for Adobe Photoshop on Windows - it is their role to provide a stable platform, but they have less say in how developers choose to use the platform.

In short, the 'Appleised' UI is a hangover from an older platform. If NowTV wanted to bring the app for the current generation AppleTV in line with the interface for other devices, they have the freedom to do so. The reason many of us AppleTV users are frustrated with NowTV is that given the freedom to release a better, more stable app, NowTV have instead ignored us content to leave us with the badly ported old software (which does appear to be much more stable on my father's 3rd generation AppleTV which the app was originally designed for).

I hope this clears up any confusion you may have on why we are holding NowTV responsible for the 'Appleised' app - certainly I hold NowTV and Apple jointly responsible for flaws with the older system's app, but not for the newer AppleTV.

Highlighted
Advocate

All fixed now so whatever you did at your end Sky - Well done!

So a final word from me and again as a developer for both web and iOS in my opinion the Apple TV NowTV app is utterly pants!  No disrespect or rudeness intended! 

There is a part of me that thinks Sky purposely hold back from making the NowTV system too good as ultimately the longer you can continue to get monthly contracted subscriptions through the traditional methods the (financially) better for you.  I'm a businessman.  Nobody gives a cost saving they don't need to.  "Make hay while the sun shines" and all that.  

Ultimately the future is knocking on our doors and TV as we all know it is changing.  Us "cord cutters" will soon be the norm and your business model will have organically grown around that change.

There is another part of me that thinks the app needs some work and nobody at Sky has thought about it.  More accidental ignorance than intent.

Either way the technology is there, you're Sky, so you have the development teams.  You could make the app absolutely fantastic in many more ways, NowTV just isn't a priority (yet).  More a forward thinking pet project.

I look forward to the day NowTV becomes more important to you than the old mainstream systems.  3 to 5 years maybe?

Just a very humble mans opinion, doesn't mean I'm right!

Happy viewing fellow NowTV'ers 🙂

P.S - I quite like the Roku app

Highlighted
Scholar

Is an update to the Apple TV 4 app ever coming?

Despite numerous requests and suggestions for improvements to the Now TV app on Apple TV 4, there still hasn't been an update in well over a year now. There have been plenty of promised to 'pass requests to the development team' but nothing seems to happen. Can you please update us? Is the app abandoned by Now TV or can we expect an update to actually be forthcoming?

Highlighted
NOW TV Team (Retired)

Re: Is an update to the Apple TV 4 app ever coming?

Hi @samradford

Currently all updates for the Apple TV app are handled by Apple although we feed back reports and issues to them ultimately they handle all updates. We're working closely with them at the moment and hope to have a update rolled out soon to manage some issues that have been on going.

Cheers

Eddie

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar

Hi @Eddie-M, either you misunderstood the question or don't know how apps and Apple TV works. Now TV makes an app. They submit that app to Apple. Apple approves that app. The app then gets rolled out and made available to all Apple TV users. If there are bugs in the app Now TV makes, it is up to Now TV to update the app and then submit that updated app to Apple. Once approved, that gets rolled out to all Apple TV users. But there have been no updates to the Now TV app on Apple TV 4 for over a year. And that has got nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Now TV. I really hope you just misunderstood the question and weren't trying to take me a for a fool and shift blame.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
NOW TV Team (Retired)

Hi @samradford

I didn't misunderstand your question. I work for Now TV and can you tell you that all updates are managed by Apple. We provide the information to them and they then build an update around that information and roll it out. And as i said we are currently working with Apple to roll out an update based on feedback from the forum and test users.

Thanks

Eddie

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar

Hi @Eddie-M,

You know there's a difference with Apple TV 4 and previous Apple TV boxes? Earlier Apple TV boxes are managed with Apple, but the Apple TV 4 has an App Store that works as I described with the onus on Now TV not Apple. Are Now TV working on updating their app for Apple TV 4 that hasn't been updated for over a year?

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar

I think @Eddie-M's responses can be taken to mean the the Now TV app is abandonware on the Apple TV. It seems they have no intention of creating a new app for the Apple TV 4, but instead are content to keep around (and occassionally bugfix) the horrible app developed for Apple TV 2/3.

It's a shame. My subscription has been cancelled for a few months now, but I've been monitoring this forum in the hopes a new app would come out. It's not going to happen.

0 Thanks