cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I understand your circumstances, they’ve got you. But as you said you don’t pay full price. I loaded loads of credit from Clubcard before the offer stopped, so I’m paying basically nothing for any passes I get!

kiwibloke
Mentor

What we want is an app that works all the time, I have to delete the app, download the app again, log into the app, which only I could do as the app had a apple created password so I have to copy it on my phone and send it to the screen, as it is very long, I have now had to shorten it so when im not here the rest of my family can long on, and this has to be done 3 to 4 times a day, yes a day.

nst
Elite

with respect, @kiwibloke you problem seems very odd indeed.

It appears its almost unique to you which is very unhelpful to say i know.

All I can suggest is to keep up pressure on Now to help and fix the issue.  

At the very least if you ever decide to cancel your subscription be sure to tell them the reason was the crap AppleTV app experience.

nst
Elite

Hi everyone in the long suffering AppleTV owners thread...

I feel quite despondent now..

So here we are.  I was so convinced that the 5.1 'problem' would be fixed miraculously after a year on Firestick... however this hasn't come to pass.

I remain utterly bemused why 5.1 isnt working when it IS blatantly working on the live streams in the app.

I tried one more time to Tweet customer support but they replied with a 'cant help you or tell you when'... a far cry from Dec 2020 when they said 'will be fixed soon'.

So, it now feels to me like maybe they will never sort it out.  I mean, if they havent been able to in the 1 year plus its been out then whats the issue?

they certainly dont seem to care.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

personally what i would like to see is the app running smooth, its really glitchy and the frame rate is often terrible, also ive noticed that when watching a tv series, after an episode finishes the next episode does not auto play, infact the app just hangs on a blank screen and you have to back out before you can continue and select a new episode.

i dont think this is to much to ask as we dont have any of these problems in the Netflix app (before you say it is my apple tv or internet) the app have been deleted and reinstalled and no change.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like to see the app updated for both the third and fourth generation Apple TV's (as both of these devices are currently sold by Apple).  

I own own both devices and I would note the frame rate issues are less apparent on the 3rd generation but both Apps are frustratingly in need of an update. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I love it when Apps on Apple TV gets updated lol. Now TV app needs new UI and really it's time for the app to get updated. 

nickmorc
Expert 2

Still waiting inanticipation for an update LOL

I think we might be waiting a long, long time !

Anonymous User
Not applicable

1, Siri integration from the Apple TV's home screen
2, Add the "My TV" section from iOS to the Apple TV version of the app
3, Display top shows at the top of the screen if the app is put on the top row of apps on the Apple TV home screen
4, Utilise the AppleTV's 32gb or 64gb of memory to allow the pausing or rewinding of live TV like the Channels app does
5, Have a proper scrolling TV guide for live TV covering all the channels on all passes instead of just the next two shows of just that channel.
6, Set program reminders and have these pop up on the screen, even when using another app. If you hit "ok" on the reminder, it then auto navigates to that live TV channel in the NowTV app
7, Reduce the cost of the Sports Month Pass by £5-£10
8, get live BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 onboard with catch up available too.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You're wasting your time. The app needs a total ground up re-write, but it will never happen. 

Look at effort Sky put into their Now TV apps on literally every other platform. Night and day difference. Every feature people are clamouring for on the ATV, minus Siri and top shelf obviously, already exists in those other Now TV apps. 

The reason the Apple TV app is so utterly dreadful is that it isn't really an Apple TV 4 app at all. It's a port of an Apple TV 3 app, and those ran on very antiquated and simplistic hardware. All Apple TV 3 apps were just text on black screens with tiny thumbnails as it was impossible to do anything else. when Sky cobbled together that old app the Now TV platform lacked all the niceties of other streaming services, - no My List, no last watched, no TV guide, no remembering where you are in a series etc. As the platform developed Sky updated every Now TV accordingly except the Apple TV app. When the Apple TV 4 came out Sky did literally the least work possible and ported their useless ATV 3 app over. 

So what you're looking at is an app which is a good 3 years old at least and has never been updated. It's clear that it will never receive the re-write is clearly needs, to give it the modern (ish) UI and functionality from the PS4 and Roku apps. It's abandonware. The only way sky would ever update it would be to fix it if a future TVOS update killed it.