cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Turn off this parental pin

Serously. I have it turned off in settings, that means I don't want to enter it at all. I do not have children. I am not a child. I do not need protecting from anything and even if I did have children, it's my responsiblity to protect them from any inappropriate content. Not yours. 

Change this back immediately.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

We’ve introduced the mandatory PIN on some live Sky channels to make sure we’re doing as much we can to make our service more responsible. It also offers our customers more choice to watch content that normally might not be available before the traditional ‘watershed’ – the time when TV programmes that might be unsuitable for children are broadcast.

Thanks

NOW TV Team

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you changed the settings on the web page, indicated?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

ecSBUj6

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The fourth FAQ on the page you show above says:-

A Parental PIN is only mandatory to watch live channels on the Sky Cinema Pass. If this doesn't apply to you and there are no younger viewers in your household, just select Turn OFF and you won't be asked for a PIN.

If you turn off Parental PIN, you'd still need to enter your PIN to watch the live Sky Cinema channels. But you wouldn't need to enter it for any on-demand movies.

As far as I know, it is an OFCOM requirement that you need to give a PIN to watch live Sky Cinema, this has been true for a long time, and the requirement hasn’t changed.

And you can certainly turn the PIN Off, and you won’t be asked for it elsewhere; something that also hasn’t changed,

But you seem to think something has changed in this area; can you say what it is, please?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I currently do not have a Cinema Pass, but have on previous occasions been asked for the PIN on Entertainment Channels, this since Thursday after this change, has not been the case. 

The Cinema restriction if still current is wholly negated by the on demand section of the FAQ you quote. I know of no movies shown on the linear channels that are not available on demand. So they are available to all without entering the PIN anyway, even if linear channel viewing is restricted, the content therein isn't. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

There hasn’t been any change on Thursday, except perhaps you turning off your Parental PIN, which you would have been able to do all along.

But nothing has altered at NowTV’s end.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Despite turning the parental PIN off, it still asks me for the pin when watching Sky Cinema channels.

If this is, as some have said, an OFCOM requirement and cannot be circumvented then the notice needs to be changed to explain that. As it stands the notice says that it's possible to turn the PIN off - which simply doesn't appear to be the case. Not for me anyway.

If, on the other hand, it's simply a software bug could it be fixed please. It's really annoying.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If you turn the PIN On, it will operate across Cinema catchup, and Entertainment as well, to restrict any viewing of age-inappropriate material; where you set the relevant age according to what children you have in your household.

So you certainly can turn it Off, as it does not then exhibit this behaviour.

Perhaps ‘Off’ would be better labelled as ‘OFCOM-mandated only’.

Though I notice my car has a sticker warning against fitting a rearward-facing child carrier in the front passenger seat, but nothing about obeying the Highway Code. Perhaps it’s a bit like that?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I can categorically say that turning the setting OFF does not make a difference on Sky Cinema channels. It still asks for a PIN.

Whether that is intended behaviour or not, I do not know. But my Parental PIN is set to “OFF” and I still get asked to enter the PIN when attempting to watch something on Sky Cinema. Perhaps it’s because I’m generally watching “mature” movies pre-watershed?
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, it’s intended behaviour. And indeed it is mandatory behaviour, as without it, Sky and NowTV would not be allowed by OFCOM to broadcast age-restricted material before the watershed on live Cinema channels.

I agree with you it is silly in households with no children; but as I have said before, if you can come up with a solution acceptable to OFCOM to get round this, a lot of people will thank you.

And it’s not to do with what you might watch; it’s to do with what Sky might broadcast before the watershed. You might notice it doesn’t apply on the Disney channel, as Disney have undertaken only to show U-rated programmes on this channel.

But if you want to see the difference between it Off and On, then turn it On, dial the age-appropriateness to the minimum, and try to watch one of your ‘nature’ movies on catchup.

With On, you’ll be asked to give the PIN to watch that; try again, with Off, and you won’t.

RoyB
Legend

Duh. Bl**dy fat fingering.

‘Nature’ movies are fine.  Try it on a ‘mature’ movie.