cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GML17
Advocate

Too many devices

Hi, I’ve been getting a message saying there’s too many devices being used when trying to watch anything on the entertainment pass. We only have two devices and it’s extremely rare that we watch both at the same time.

We’re using a Roku stick if that helps?

All other apps (iPlayer, Prime, etc), work fine. 

Any advice please?

Thanks,

G

10 REPLIES 10
nst
Elite

go to my account then select devices.

You'll see whats going on.... then all should be clear and you can delete unwanted ones.  Pay attention to the last used date.

GML17
Advocate

Thanks for the speedy reply. I’ve checked and there’s 3 devices registered but one of them hasn’t been used to watch since May 2020. 

nst
Elite

there you go then.

mystery solved.

RoyB
Legend

@nst

How so solved?

My device list shows six devices, and nothing is telling me that I have too many in use, which relates to simultaneous active use, not just being listed there.

@GML17  Is it that you don’t have a Boost, and there are two devices actually on and in Now, even though you are only looking at one of them?

As the limit for simultaneous streams for non-Boost, non-BT TV, customers has been reduced from 2 to 1 recently. Perhaps this is what you have encountered?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
nst
Elite

@RoyB 

Solved as in he found a device that he hasnt used in a while that he was unaware of and can now delete it freeing up a space.

Id say that was a solve wouldn't you?

By all means, you seem to be rather keen for people to upvote you and give you credit for solves as your footer makes clear so please don't be upset if someone else comes along and give the OP the right nudge in the right direction to solve their particular issue before you do.

RoyB
Legend

@nst 

Of course not; it doesn’t matter who solves a member’s problem, as long as somebody does. And see the last line of that sig 😛

But we do need to be sure that the suggested solution is a solution.

I hoped I’d made things clear above, but it seems I’ve failed, so please let me try again, in more detail.

There are two things going on here; one is the number of devices a member can have registered (up to six), and the other is the number of devices a member can be watching on simultaneously (one now, unless you have a Boost or are with BT TV).

@GML17 had the ‘simultaneous’ problem, but you have told him that removing a ‘registered’ device would solve this.

Which, unless this extra device has been left actually connected to Now all this time, it won’t. And the date on the device record suggests this hasn’t been the case.

@GML17 can have up to six devices registered; and under the new rules he can even start using a seventh, and Now will silently drop the oldest registered device to allow for it. So there is no longer any ‘too many devices’ rule for registered devices,

Just a ‘too many devices’ rule for devices actually watched on at the same time, which removing registered devices, unless they are actually being watched on at that moment, has no bearing on.

But if you think I have misunderstood the advice you gave, or anything above is still not clear, please say so.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@nst 

@RoyB is spot on with what he says. You don’t get those stars after your name by giving rubbish answers.

If I read your replies correctly, you suggest that @GML17 removes a device from his device list. Have you tried to do that in the last few days? You can’t do that anymore as the list of devices is dynamically managed. 

RoyB
Legend

@Mark_Weinreb 

Well, there’s something I didn’t know, notwithstanding the stars 😢

While I applaud the removal of the ‘3 device swaps a month’ limit, Device Management has gone backwards a bit here.

I would still like to be able to delete an entry, e.g. some rogue piggybacking on my account.

And I would still like to be able to rename an entry at will, if Now thinks that ‘LG TV’ is specific enough when I have two. Model number would help there, but would still founder on my two Roku Premieres.

And come to think of it, how come three of my 6 devices are LG TVs, when I only have two such?

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

As I see it, the only way to force a rogue off your account would be to reset the account password, as I think there is (or was) an option to force all devices off. Then start with a clean sheet.

As to why you have three LG TVs showing, perhaps it’s the same problem that affects some ios users, where a software update makes it look like a different device to Now.