cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Terrible NOW TV picture quality

I'm really unimpressed with the picture quality on HD service via Apple TV box.  Its more obvious when a black picture is displayed, the image is pixelated with large grey blocks.  I know its nothing to do with my connection, its the over-compression of images to save bandwidth.  This needs fixing as its adding yet another reason to end subscription.

21 REPLIES 21
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

You need to report what you are seeing to NOW live chat or send them a message using the communication methods in this link page below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps thanks I will do.  I was hoping that the customer complaints dept might have actually looking to see if there were any problems being discussed in their community.  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The NOW Community Forum is predominantly customers helping out other customers, where depending on the issue, customers may have to contact NOW live chat where helpful forum members on here will not have the answer how to resolve it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The quality is really bad, I paid for the boost but even with that it is a far cry from a proper Full HD. I ahve a 1Gb fiber connection si I am sure it is not that. All other streaming services look much better on the same TV.  Nowtv is really a low quality overpriced service. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Trying to watch F1 live and the picture quality is unwatchable! I'm connected via ethernet and all oher devices are working fine. Any one any suggestions! Furious!

ram1
Mentor

I'm still having the same grainy overlay as mentioned here. I had the boost, but it was still there, so i decided to cancel the subscription for boost with my Now subscription on Apple Tv 4k box.

I did subscribe to sky puck instead, as it was a bit cheaper and there is a sky go app for apple tv. But the app still has that odd grainy overlay (even with the UHD add on), you can't connect to airplay speakers as the sky puck doesn't have airplay compatibility and the scroll menu just isn't as fluid as the now tv app. Also, programmes you are currently watching do't sync with Apple "up next" menu.

I was disappointed with the sky stream puck and the sky go app on apple tv, that i cancelled the sky service and just returned to now.

I still would like now to provide a fix or solution to the grainy overlay on their service. I notice it more on live tv with sports and tv shows. Especially when the image is black.

Vanderlay
Advocate

@ram1  - on some other threads on here people have stated changing the settings on the Apple TV from '4K HDR' to '4K SDR' removes the grainy overlay. Does that work for you? I'm considering an Apple TV and would be interested to know if this fixes the problem. I currently have a Google TV and the grainy overlay exists there as well.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Vanderlay 

Since the updated version of the app the picture quality on my Apple TV 4K is outstanding. Haven’t needed to change any settings on the box.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
ram1
Mentor
Hi,

I changed it 4K SDR and this looks like it’s fixed the issue. Thank you!

Ash104
Observer

@Anonymous User I have exactly the same problem you have described, pixilated and grey blocks in dark scenes, also using on Apple TV with the so called boost. Far too must compression, not only do sky have the cheek to make you pay for a decent picture they run salt in the wound by taking the money for boost and still giving a poor picture.