cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Terrible NOW TV picture quality

I'm really unimpressed with the picture quality on HD service via Apple TV box.  Its more obvious when a black picture is displayed, the image is pixelated with large grey blocks.  I know its nothing to do with my connection, its the over-compression of images to save bandwidth.  This needs fixing as its adding yet another reason to end subscription.

21 REPLIES 21
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Do you have boost?
Is the box connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have boost, that's why i mentioned HD.  I connect via ethernet, Netflix is fine, so is BBC and amazon.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Without boost the picture quality is 720p which is still HD, just not true HD as we know with 1080p.

Is the picture poor with live or on demand content?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

What @Anonymous User seems to be describing is the camouflage pattern reported by others mainly when watching Sky Sports across various NOW playback devices.

Here's one example thread linked below.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/Apple-TV-4K-issues-Strange-Camo-Effect/m-p/571400#M15180 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Thanks bud, as I’m out in the dark over this issue (pun not intended) as I don’t have an active sports membership.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

Some people have also noticed it on when watching live NOW Cinema and live NOW Entertainment, but the majority of the reported complaints on the Community forum seems to be live Sky Sports.

I have first hand experience of this myself.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Without jinxing it I’ve somehow managed to escape this issue on the cinema and entertainment content. Is it just live streaming it happens with or can it happen with on demand too?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

Mainly live Sky Sports channels for me across various playback devices.

Sometimes i can watch Sky Sports for weeks and the picture is pretty good on Boost, then all of a sudden the camouflage pattern effect rears it's ugly head again on different playback devices and different televisions in the house 😠.

I haven't noticed the camo blocking effect recently myself, though i do see reports here and over on Twitter that it is still happening.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, it is the same as you describe.

Have Now TV given a resin for this?